Education for motorists

aberdeen_lune
aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but on my third ride back on the road after a careless driver almost killed me I get a woman in a van telling me I shouldn't be cycling on the road. Jeez why are there so many uneducated inconsiderate drivers out there.

Comments

• If you said ANYTHING other than "and you should be in the kitchen, deary", you missed a golden opportunity.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had a woman shout at me earlier while on a club run that I should read the highway code after she tried to swerve into another member in front of me, yes thanks and have been driving for over 20 years thanks.
  • I don't know why ignorance is so prevalent among a large section of the motoring community. Nobody shouts at me when I'm driving.

Maybe compulsory education is the way forward.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't know why ignorance is so prevalent among a large section of the motoring community. Nobody shouts at me when I'm driving.

Perpaps some sort of exam before you are allowed to drive...Maybe is should be called a 'Driving Test' after which these drivers should be issued with some sort of permission card showing what vehicles the driver is allowed to use as well as any restrictions, I propose this be called a 'Driving Licence'.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Groundbreaking suggestion there EKE, you should be a politician...
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I don't know why ignorance is so prevalent among a large section of the motoring community. Nobody shouts at me when I'm driving.

Perpaps some sort of exam before you are allowed to drive...Maybe is should be called a 'Driving Test' after which these drivers should be issued with some sort of permission card showing what vehicles the driver is allowed to use as well as any restrictions, I propose this be called a 'Driving Licence'.

Stupid idea, it'll never catch on. I thought you knew: people pay to drive on the roads, so they have a right....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Not worth the paper it's written on. It must be so easy to pass this t hing called the "driving test" as there are so many eejits behind the wheel.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    as there are so many eejits behind the handlebars......

FTFY; I see far more 'tards on bicycles than I do in cars....

Ever considered that it could be you?

Scary! :shock:
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    as there are so many eejits behind the handlebars......

FTFY; I see far more 'tards on bicycles than I do in cars....

Ever considered that it could be you?

Scary! :shock:

Well in my recent accident, a driver drove into me on the bike, the police considered it to be the drivers fault. That's why they charged the driver with careless driving.

Maybe you haven't thought this one through Gtvlusso Car drivers are in charge of lethal weapons they have a license to kill so to speak. Cyclists generally only hurt themselves.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Not worth the paper it's written on. It must be so easy to pass this t hing called the "driving test" as there are so many eejits behind the wheel.

Part of my mother's persuasive arguments to get me to have lessons and do my driving test as a teenager was something along the lines of "come on, how hard can it be, look at all the stupid people that can drive". Blimey was she right. :wink:
    Boardman CX Team
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nobody shouts at me when I'm driving.
    It must be so easy to pass this thing called the "driving test" as there are so many eejits behind the wheel.
    Perhaps you are one of the 'eejits behind the wheel' but you can't hear the shouts because you have your windows up, the radio on or are just oblivious?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I gave a woman a very loud shout last night.

Firstly she roared past me closely well over the speed limit just before a roundabout and a narrowing in the road. I was about to take primary, probably a good job I didn't.

I caught up with her at the red lights 50m down the road. I just sat behind her calmly and made no reference to the dangerous manoeuvre, but in my mind I was thinking "stupid fat cow"

She knew she had annoyed me cos she was looking in the mirror with a smug face and (what looked like) her then daughter turned around to have a look at me. Meaning they were discussing it.

Anyway I proceeded onwards, turning right at the lights and moved into the bus lane, overtaking some of the slower cars in the right hand lane (they were starting to move away from the next set of lights).

Any way I continued along the 0.5 mile stretch in the bus lane when to my complete horror this same woman swerved into the bus lane as close as she possibly could to me and then undertook all of the other cars in the normal lane.

She really shook me as it was just so dangerous. I shouted as loud as I possibly could at her and made a gesture but she clearly had absolutely no care for my safety or anyone else's. I tried to catch her up but on a 40 mph road (and her probably doing 60+) I had little chance. And what the hell would I have done if I did catch her? There is nothing I could actually do. I am shaking with adrenaline thinking about it now.

I didn't get her registration either as it all just happened so fast, and in any case the police wouldn't be interested cos she didn't actually hit me. :roll:

If I had a camera maybe the police would of been interested in the undertaking through a bus lane but I doubt that too.

I even checked our local youtube hero's channel but no sign of her.

She must of lived in the estate I was riding through as it's not a main through road. Which means I may see her again one day. :cry: Hopefully she manages to 'miss' me again.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Nobody shouts at me when I'm driving.
    It must be so easy to pass this thing called the "driving test" as there are so many eejits behind the wheel.
    Perhaps you are one of the 'eejits behind the wheel' but you can't hear the shouts because you have your windows up, the radio on or are just oblivious?
    Perhaps maybe once I turn up the volume in my headphones I won't notice the numpties.
  • [quote="LockStock666"

Another air head motorist. Glad your ok after that.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I gave a woman a very loud shout last night.
    Similar thing happened to me the other day on my commute. I set off onto a large roundabout after my lights go green. Going slow to time the next lights on the roundabout to go green. Lane to my left is clogged, I'm in the right lane (taking the third exit right) passing the second set of lights just after they go green.

At this point a young girl in a corsa drives onto the roundabout at speed from my left. Given that my lights were green she must have jumped a red light. Not once did she look in my general direction, not even when I shouted at her.

I caught her up at a pelican crossing, pull up next to her and knock on her window. She just looked at me and then drove off as the lights go green.

Sometimes I do wish I'd had a camera!