Cleats - Fixed or Floating

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I've got some 105 pedals and currently use the yellow floating cleat on my road shoes. Don't know why I got the yellow ones when I bought everything new last April but I did. I have just treated myself to some new shoes and need, obviously, cleats. So what is the real difference? Is it to do with the fact on the floating ones you have slightly more movement on the pedal? Will I notice a difference between the two?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you are confident with your cleat positioning and general fit then fixed can be good.

Floating just mean there is that bit of room for error and you are less likely to suffer ill effects of a slightly wrong cleat or body position.

If you have been doing fine with yellows then why worry about changing?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Yellow ones are good if you suffer from knee pain. If you do, stay away from the red ones.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you have a dynamic bike fit then that should show you what your knee movement is (they use pedals with the max float and then track your knee movement when you pedal). Most people twist slightly in the stroke so it is logical to allow this small movement. However, if your knee ligaments are not strong enough then this movement can become excessive leading to problems, so it makes sense to limit the movement to some degree.

So, let your knees be the judge, if they are fine now then stay with the setup you have. If your knees hurt after a long ride then it might be worth checking the list of things that it could be, including float, saddle setback, saddle height, cleat position, etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where in Glos can you get that done Bobbinogs?
    How much is it?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I went to Mike at Bike Dynamics which is not that far away in Leamington Spa. Not only does he know his onions but his website is a mine of info too: http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/

Check out the feedback section...says it all.
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Having got some more yellow cleats, I have also bought some snazzy new shoes for them. Thing is I have been `breaking` the shoes in on my Turbo ( only worn them twice ) and I am finding that I seem to be able to twist my right foot alot more than my left, particularly in comparrission to my original Shimano shoes. Could this just be simply a difference between my Shimano's with worn cleats and my new Diadora's with new cleats. Both cleats are yellow just to confirm!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I went to Mike at Bike Dynamics which is not that far away in Leamington Spa. Not only does he know his onions but his website is a mine of info too: http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/

Check out the feedback section...says it all.

+1 for Mike. Best money I've spent on cycling, apart from the bike. :wink:
    Purveyor of "up" :)