Shimano Altus crank question

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, i was wondering if these chain rings can be removed from this crank, just leaving the arm. I wanna take all 3 rings off and buy a new one and just have a single speed. I got an idea of what i could get (new arms AND a new ring) but keeping my crank arms and buying a new ring would be cheaper, if possible. ive had a look on google and most other cranks have 4 visible bolts on there so you can just remove the rings. This one doesnt have the bolts so is there still a way to remove the rings? Those 4 arm looking things seem to able to rotate, because on my crank they have been moved out of place slightly. probably damage? the bike was an absolute wreck when i got it so that could be the reason.

Sorry if its a pretty stupid question but i have no clue when it comes to cranks.

The crank in the picture is exactly what ive got on my bike, but the one in the picture isnt mine. ill take some pictures very soon and ill add them in. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Nope, can't be removed. It's common among cheap chainsets. Good news is that Chainreaction had some decent shimano chainsets, with removable ring, for under £20 recently. You might need a new bottom bracket to match though.
  • If memory serves, the riveted chainrings are held onto the crank by a push fit spline & can be removed with the correct tool.

To go single ring with these cranks you'd probably have to cut off the rings you don't want leaving the one you do.

Much easier though just to get some new cheap cranks with removable bolted chainrings & embrace the ease of futer changes.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy