How to look after my new road bike?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Just received my new Giant Defy 1 but haven't been out on it yet as I'm waiting for new SPD pedals in the post.
I've had the same pedals on my old mtn bike for the last 6 months but they're looking a bit rusty - what do I need to spray on them to prevent it happening again on the new bike?

Are there any great articles on the web showing exactly what stuff to put on each and every component including even the frame etc?

Comments

• Clean them with hot soapy water sponge and brush (I use an old toothbrush), or if you want to pay more buy a bike specific cleaner. Rinse with water then spray with GT85 (or similar) which is a penetrating lubricant and water dispersant.

Do that regularly & your SPD's will be shinny & blingy for a long time. Same advice goes for pretty much the rest of the bike, except that GT85 is not a chain lubricant so you will need to apply something more specific.

Good luck on the new bike, looks like we have some better weather on the way too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I bought the book Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance which is very comprehensive and has helped me become confident with all bike maintenance activities. I think I've changed/upgraded everything on a bike now with the help of this book, only thing left is complete wheel build.
  • You probably already have some car shampoo, so you could use that to clean the bike if you wanted to; otherwise get some bike wash. It needn't be expensive. I use Green Oil's bike cleaner and it works very well. Don't use soapy water/washing up liquid; it's salty.

For things like brake pivots you can use something like GT-85 if you like, but be careful spraying it around; you don't want it on your bearings. Chain maintenance causes arguments, but a good basic degreaser (again, I use Green Oil), a stiff brush and a rag go a long way. Run the chain through that rag when you get in from a wet ride.

If you want articles, this site has a few (can't say I've used them), and Sheldon Brown's site is also an excellent resource.
  • There are 2 schools of thought on using washing up liquid on bikes & I'm not going to say one is right or one is wrong I've seen quite a few threads on BR that just go on and on back and forth.

Personally I'm quite happy that in a standard 8 litre bucket of hot water I am only putting in 15 ml's of washing up liquid at around 30% salt which is added by the manufacturers to bulk out their mixture & some of this will have dissolved in the hot water but even if none had I'd be looking at a 8000mls/15mls in total of which only about 1/4 gets on the bike so less than half a teaspoon of salt.

Which is less that my bike gets from body sweat & road grime & it is all washed away by plenty of good clean water - been doing it for the past 20 years of riding and its never done a bit of damage to my bike.

For balance I do also use specific bike cleaner/degreaser if the bike is really dirty but usually only after a good clean with hot soapy water.

You could also use a cheap option of furniture polish after your bikes been cleaned to make it look sparkly & also makes cleaning the next time quite a bit easier just be careful to spay onto the cloth and not the bike first as you don't really want it getting into your mechanicals. There are also specific bike polish products out there too & are pretty good.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • A mate of mine who knows a thing or two about bikes and whose bike is always shiny, swears by silicon spray on the frame to maintain that look. He buys it from the pound shop and a quick spray means any mud and water don't stick.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    A mate of mine who knows a thing or two about bikes and whose bike is always shiny, swears by silicon spray on the frame to maintain that look. He buys it from the pound shop and a quick spray means any mud and water don't stick.
    An even cheaper solution is to use supermarket own brand furniture polish. It works wonders. And if you use it to clean your pedals you won’t get squeaky cleats.
  • I have a teflon spray (don't know if it's the same as the silicone spray) which seems to have helped. We changed our cogs last year and I sprayed mine with a couple of layers of the teflon stuff, he didn't and his is looking tatty now. I bought the muck off bike spray stuff though I don't know if it's just expensive furnature polish.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • treat it like you would a new girlfriend. At first you admire it, like to show it off, buy it some nice new things every now and then just to let it know you are in love. Once that gets boring just throw it away after every ride and be always on the look out for a newer model.
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    treat it like you would a new girlfriend. At first you admire it, like to show it off, buy it some nice new things every now and then just to let it know you are in love. Once that gets boring just throw it away after every ride and be always on the look out for a newer model.

This is brilliant!!! - Made me laugh
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Im a professional prestige valeter so i use Autosmart G101 as a general bike cleaner. I also use Gtechniq products to make the frame/saddle waterproof. Expensive, but it stays clean and water just beads off it.

DSC_0620.jpg
  • Muc-Off Bike spray is great stuff and helps look after the frame as well
  • MTB1997 wrote:
    Muc-Off Bike spray is great stuff and helps look after the frame as well

What does it do that actually looks after the frame? I get the impression from their marketing that they want us to know that it doesn't damage finish, but I'd hope that goes without saying...
  • Believe the hype or not but they have an added chemical which stays on the bike after washing. I guess its the same sort of deal as you would find in a car shampoo with a built in wax that you simply wash on without the need to buff.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    tumblr_leryzlaIVj1qbxnpgo1_500.jpg
  • fearby wrote:

Done that for cleaning the bike just not when the other half is in, or I might find myself relegated to sleeping in the bath!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    ednino wrote:
    Im a professional prestige valeter so i use Autosmart G101 as a general bike cleaner. I also use Gtechniq products to make the frame/saddle waterproof. Expensive, but it stays clean and water just beads off it.
    Frames don't need waterproofing and I use my arse to keep water off the saddle ;-)

My bike would look the same whether I used Autosmart or a drop of Ecover. There no magic needed for washing a bike. The tiniest squirt of washing-up liquid in hot water, add sponge/brush and some elbow grease. Rub the chain and cassette with an old rag and relube. Follow up with a tiny squirt of GT85 on derailleur pivots & pedals to prevent any squeaks.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    It keeps it clean though if water/dirt doesn't stick to it
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    fearby wrote:

Done this. Grime everywhere. Do'h.