Help with Cranks

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Im looking for a new single speed crank but all of the ones ive seen on ebay are all "fixie" type of cranks and they will look really odd on my bike which has sort of like a "jump bikeish" kind of look to it (especially after i add my triple clamp fork). Anyone know of a crank that just looks like the one in the photo for around £30? Anyone know the make and/or model of a crank that looks sort of like the one in the picture? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's just an MTB crankset fitted with a single ring in place of the triples....use a cartridge type BB and you can get a narrower one to put the ring in the outer location so it looks neater.

Pick your crankset, remove rings and sell, but single ring and bolts, fit, see link to my Kraken, single ring on an XT crankset - ironically I run a stronglight like the top on my commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slightly off topic, but are you planning to put triple clamp forks on your GT?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My single speed cranks are cheap Shimano Exage 300LX with a 32T middle ring on held with single chain ring bolts. This is why there are not many single speed MTB cranks about so the ones that are made are low volume and expensive.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • It's just an MTB crankset fitted with a single ring in place of the triples....use a cartridge type BB and you can get a narrower one to put the ring in the outer location so it looks neater.

Pick your crankset, remove rings and sell, but single ring and bolts, fit, see link to my Kraken, single ring on an XT crankset - ironically I run a stronglight like the top on my commuter.

Ill have a look at your Kraken. So i can remove the 3 other rings, and buy a new one and bolt that on? I never even knew you could do that....Haha. Thanks :)
  • cooldad wrote:

Yep. They arent by any means a fork that will actually go down hills and stuff. I needed a suspension fork and i just happened to find a dirt cheap triple clamp fork on ebay. 2 problems though, its yellow and will look stupid, but ill spray it matte black like i did to my GT so it looks in place. and the other problem is that i have a 1 1/8 headtube and the fork was a 1". I couldnt be bothered sending it back and getting a new one so i just bought a headtube reducer which is on the way now
  • My single speed cranks are cheap Shimano Exage 300LX with a 32T middle ring on held with single chain ring bolts. This is why there are not many single speed MTB cranks about so the ones that are made are low volume and expensive.

Thanks :) That sounds pretty good :) so it looks like i can just remove the 3 rings and get just a single new one that fits (cos mine are pretty badly worn) and just bolt it on there so it becomes single. 300LX is really really good, i run the 300 lx rear derallieur on my raleigh mirage and it runs like clock work! best derailleur ive had to date, judging by that the crank must be top notch too :)
  • cooldad wrote:

Yep. They arent by any means a fork that will actually go down hills and stuff. I needed a suspension fork and i just happened to find a dirt cheap triple clamp fork on ebay. 2 problems though, its yellow and will look stupid, but ill spray it matte black like i did to my GT so it looks in place. and the other problem is that i have a 1 1/8 headtube and the fork was a 1". I couldnt be bothered sending it back and getting a new one so i just bought a headtube reducer which is on the way now

why not send them back and get a better fork? if you look around the classifieds theres usually a bargain or two to be found.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:

They're not zoom forks are they?

Like the ones pictured here:

415.jpg
  • cooldad
    Oh my wordy wordy word!
    WTF is that?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Not Zoom, these
    $(KGrHqIOKnEE4LgwcJU2BOFcvteHbQ~~_12.JPG
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

415.jpg

30kgs of awesomeness
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Oh my wordy wordy word!
    WTF is that?
    I've been trying to figure that out since i posted it but have thus far came to no conclusion.
  • cooldad wrote:

They're not zoom forks are they?

Like the ones pictured here:

415.jpg

They look very similar to that, Cooldad has seen them :) they are shyte forks LOL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are basic Suntours. The Zoom Ch650 was suprisingly well made!
  • I just realized how close the seatpost is the rear shock. LOL.
  • cooldad
    The only redeeming feature that bike has is ....

Nope, I got nothing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The only redeeming feature that bike has is ....

Nope, I got nothing.

Heeeey! Your missing the forks. They at the very least look nice. Just not on that "thing" LOL
    Triple clamps <3
  • Im thinking to get this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suntour-XCT-V ... 56526c7454 but it doesnt say what size ring it takes. Im not even sure if you can take all 3 rings off and just leave the arms. Im hoping a 104 PCD ring will fit on this. Does anyone know if it will fit and if all 3 rings come off?
  • The Rookie
    According to the suntour webby it takes 106mm BCD rings....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ahh i see. Ill keep that crank in mind though. But do you know if all 3 rings are removable? Im on the website and it says "interchangeable ring" i dont know if that means just the largest ring or all the other rings...it has 4 bolts so im assuming only the largest? or am i wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The large and mid rings are held on by one bolt, the granny ring by another set screwed in from the frame side (on a decent set of cranks).

In your shoes I wouldn't be buying new, I'd be looking for a decentish set of used cranks, I have a Shimano set (104bcd) going begging if you want to PM me, not giving away but cheap....
  • The large and mid rings are held on by one bolt, the granny ring by another set screwed in from the frame side (on a decent set of cranks).

In your shoes I wouldn't be buying new, I'd be looking for a decentish set of used cranks, I have a Shimano set (104bcd) going begging if you want to PM me, not giving away but cheap....

I can only take square and diamond taper (i think, on or the other or both) Im not really looking to get a new BB. is yours square or diamond taper?