Confidence building ride today :)

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Slowing building up the miles and finally had a good day here in Northants to get out :D
40 miler with a couple of pb's on strava
I've got my first sportive a week on Sunday choice of
50k or 100k
Personally I want to enjoy the 50k and just complete my first one, but my riding partner (very experienced) wants me to do the 100k as he thinks I'm ready for it!
I managed one of the tricker climbs today ok ish so with another couple of rides around the 40mile mark next week hopefully I can complete the bigger one :?
Bummer I've got to work both weekend days weather is looking good :cry::cry:
Enjoy the miles you lot

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Well done, 40m is a heck of a distance so all the power to you.
    If the guy you ride with is experienced then im sure he would know if your ready, how do you feel ?
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have no doubt you could do 100k (only 20 miles more than you did today), the question is will he let you do it at a sensible pace?

The fact that you are riding with a lot of others is probably worth 10 extra miles anyway.

Only you know, but FWIW I did a 50 miler last year and wished I had done the 100 that everyone was saying I should have done.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As another beginner, having done a few rides in the 30-40 mile range, a few between 40-50, and only one above 50, the only thing I'd say is that you'll need to pay a little more attention to eating if you do the 100k ride.

I happily go out for 30 miles before breakfast, and I'm not particularly hungry when I get back. Up above 30, up to 45 miles, I've noticed I tend to fade in the second half without a bite of flapjack every hour or so after the first hour. When I did my only 100k+ (69.6 miles in fact!), from 45-70 I definitely felt the need to have a bite every 45 minutes or so.

Maybe worth bearing in mind, anyway.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • smidsy wrote:
    I have no doubt you could do 100k (only 20 miles more than you did today), the question is will he let you do it at a sensible pace?

He said that he would ride with me at my pace... Normally he just stays in the big ring lol as I'm gasping up the hills.
    I've also signed up for the dragon ride in June ( I'm easily led ) not the big one but the 125km route, so all this riding is gearing me up for that if I can do this 107km route now I've just got to get up those hills :D
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    edited February 2013
    It's always best to step outside your comfort zone occasionally and if your ride buddy thinks your ready what have you got to lose?

As mentioned food and hydration are important and try a caffeine gel before the sportive. The gels a good pick me up and helps if you find your on your chin strap. Just dont OD on gels/energy bars as they can upset your stomach.

That's said it depends on what your aim is, simple enjoyment or pushing yourself physically & mentally? The two aren't mutually exclusive though!

I'm out tomorrow on a ride which will give me a new PB on miles ( the climbing is unknown :o ). I'm actually looking forward to it and I know it's going to hurt a lot as there are a lot of hills in that part of Shropshire :D

What a strange sport we indulge in.......

The very best of luck!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Thanks slowmart, of course I want to push myself and like smidsy said riding in a group or with just another will no doubt help... I've already raised £200 for the ride so plenty of motivation to complete it both personally and for my sponsors lol
  • well done on the ride, as others have said if your riding in a group & your buddy is going to stick with you you should be OK on the longer one. But only you know how well your going, by the sounds of it from your post you seem to be having a good time and setting some PB's.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    #david2012 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

He said that he would ride with me at my pace... Normally he just stays in the big ring lol as I'm gasping up the hills.
    I've also signed up for the dragon ride in June ( I'm easily led ) not the big one but the 125km route, so all this riding is gearing me up for that if I can do this 107km route now I've just got to get up those hills :D

Get it done 8)

I have signed up for the 100 miler that I only did the 50 of last year. Don't see why I should be the only one to suffer. :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Rule 5 applies