garmin edge 500

sjireland
sjireland Posts: 35
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
bought this yesterday http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-edge-50 ... 29-00.html arrived this morning :)
chuffed to bits with the bargain price :D

Comments

• johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Great bit of kit. Good price too!
  • Great device.

Tip: Make sure you delete rides regularly. Once there is 20+ saved it starts to p*ss around when finding satellites !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I didn't know that ... Thanks for the tip
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, thanks for the tip ;-)
    Just got one myself and looking forward to setting it up tomorrow.
    Great price you got. I had to pay a premium as needed the red/black one to go with my bike :roll:
    Got it with speed/cadence sensor and fancy soft HRM for £170
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Another one that's bought a 500 this week, used it yesterday and its like a posh cateye with added cyclemeter, plus a bit of HR and cadence on top, i'm still trying to figure out why i need all that info but i does make interesting reading for a while.
  • Mikey23
    You will learn to love it like your favourite auntie...
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Lower class edge 200 owner here
    I want the 500 with hrm for turbo use
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • been toying with the idea of getting myself a 500. Can someone tell me if the breadcrumb function works well? Seems to have some conficting reviews.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    It works well on the 200. The only time I've had issues is when I don't know the road and it's a fork instead of a turn, bit of guesswork which fork to take. It beeps at you pretty quickly when you (inevitably) pick the wrong fork though, so you're soon back on the right track.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Yes, thanks for the tip ;-)
    Just got one myself and looking forward to setting it up tomorrow.
    Great price you got. I had to pay a premium as needed the red/black one to go with my bike :roll:
    Got it with speed/cadence sensor and fancy soft HRM for £170

where was that from if you don't mind me asking?
  • p1tse
    Can the 500 calculate speed on a turbo trainer with cadence I assume?
  • p1tse wrote:

My 500 came with the speed/cadence sensor. There's a magnet to put on your rear wheel and a magnet to attach to the crank arm. So speed(wheel magnet) and cadence (crank arm magnet)would be calculated separatly.

So yes it will calculate speed on a turbo but not using cadence. Hope that makes sense :)
  • p1tse
    Thanks

Doh, I want one.
    Do they all come with speed sensor?
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    p1tse wrote:
    Thanks

Doh, I want one.
    Do they all come with speed sensor?
    Not all have the speed/cadence sensor. For example, Wiggle sell just the basic unit, or for extra cash, you can get one with the heart rate strap and speed/cadence sensor. It is cheaper in the long run to get the bundle, rather than add the extras later on.
  • Anonymous
    Prhymeate wrote:

Sorry should have said, it was only 170 because I had a £30 off wiggle voucher code.
    They did an offer that if you bought anything in January (even 60p) you got money off vouchers to use in Feb.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

Sorry should have said, it was only 170 because I had a £30 off wiggle voucher code.
    They did an offer that if you bought anything in January (even 60p) you got money off vouchers to use in Feb.

Oh! I completely forgot that I had one of those. I just dismissed it as I didn't plan on spending over £100 on bike stuff within the next month...obviously I'm new to this cycling thing.

now I'm tempted by the 800, typical!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    p1tse wrote:
    With the GSC10 it can do speed, distance and cadence. And HR with the HR strap. Best to switch the GPS off on the turbo. You can get very weird tracks on Connect if you don't.
    Good tip about keeping the activities memory clear. Too many and it slows everything down.
  • Anonymous
    Prhymeate wrote:

Oh! I completely forgot that I had one of those. I just dismissed it as I didn't plan on spending over £100 on bike stuff within the next month...obviously I'm new to this cycling thing.

now I'm tempted by the 800, typical!

That's my good deed done for today then :D
    I got a 2nd mount kit for my other bike to get it over £200 :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    been toying with the idea of getting myself a 500. Can someone tell me if the breadcrumb function works well? Seems to have some conficting reviews.

It didn't on mine with the latest firmware. If I tried a course that was longer than about 40 miles the Edge would freeze and need switched off and on again to get it to work again, and I had the well-known disappearing breadcrumb trail issue where (usually at key moments) the breadcrumb trail would vanish. It'd come back after a minute or so, but it was bloody annoying. If you want something for occasional navigation then it'll be okay and all the training stuff works really well, but it's not a navigation device.
    More problems but still living....
  • p1tse
    Carbonator wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

I bought something from wiggle in jan but have no vouchers
  • Anonymous
    It was from Dec 24th to Jan 17th.
    If you bought something on or before the 17th you should email them and ask where the vouchers are :wink:
    Have you checked your spam? The voucher codes are emailed to you.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Great device.

Tip: Make sure you delete rides regularly. Once there is 20+ saved it starts to p*ss around when finding satellites !
    I got a 200 a year ago and recently upgraded to a 500, as I wanted the HR and cadence as well as elevation on screen and ability to customise screens. It is also great for using with a turbo. The 500 is better in these ways, but for some reason it takes longer than the 200 to find satellites, despite the fact that my 500 has less than 20 rides on it (including turbo sessions) - my 200 has over 140 rides on it but still finds satellites as soon as I switch it on outside. The 500 is also strange when deleting individual rides, as for some reason a few rides I tried to delete don't seem to go away despite others deleting okay. For the 500, to save your ride data, you have to reset by holding the button for 3 seconds whereas the 200 has a more clear instruction to press a button to save data or resume. Overall the 500 is better as it has more functionality, but in some ways the 200 is more user-friendly.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    amaferanga wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    been toying with the idea of getting myself a 500. Can someone tell me if the breadcrumb function works well? Seems to have some conficting reviews.

It didn't on mine with the latest firmware. If I tried a course that was longer than about 40 miles the Edge would freeze and need switched off and on again to get it to work again, and I had the well-known disappearing breadcrumb trail issue where (usually at key moments) the breadcrumb trail would vanish. It'd come back after a minute or so, but it was bloody annoying. If you want something for occasional navigation then it'll be okay and all the training stuff works really well, but it's not a navigation device.

That WILL frustrate me if I get the same. Recently bagged one on crc for £119, as my edge 205 has always been faultless with the breadcrumb trails. A complete boon when plotting a route through tiny country roads.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mikey23
    I did about this when I first got mine but I have never felt the need to use it as a navigation aid and can't really think when it might be important to me ...
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I tried the navigation on mine today for the first time. It works and can give turn-by-turn directions, which pop up no matter which other screen you might be looking at. However, the course did the disappearing trick a few times, it came back after a few seconds but that did result in me going the wrong way once.

So, it will navigate you, but I would not rely on it 100% as your only means. Know your route before you go and preferably take a map with you as well.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava