Wet weather jacket - any suggestions?

zardoz
zardoz Posts: 251
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I took up road cycling last summer after a very long break and loving it! So I have entered a couple of sportive rides in April and May. Now all my training is done pretty much in the dry becuase I can really pick and choose my days and times to go out so basically I avoid the rain when I can. I have a light shower jacket that I carry but of course on the day of the sportive it could well be peeing down for all or some of the ride.

So what sort of wet wether gear would other riders recommend for sportives and it has to be a jacket that will fit in a jersey pocket - well you never know it might start sunny and end in pouring rain.

Thanks
Alan

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME anything that it truly waterproof will not be breathable. Anything that it truly breathable will not be waterproof. I do not care how much you spend and what the manufacturer claims you either get wet from the inside or the outside if you ride for long enough/hard enough in wet weather.

Essentailly you have to make a compromise somewhere. There is also a trade off in terms of drying once you have been wet and the weather clears. Heavy items will take longer to dry.

I find a better strategy is to go for something that keeps you warm (wind proof) as this will stop you getting cold when you are already wet.

Race capes are good for light weight, easy carry, but they are really only showerproof as opposed to waterproof. I have found wearing one of these in conjunction with a windproof jersey is the best compromise.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I have a Castelli Sottile which easily fits into a jersey pocket (about the size of a pair of rolled up socks), it's dry in heavy rain but if it is just showers and then dries out you're kind've stuck wearing it as it isn't the most breathable top. For those rides where it may rain though its a great top. If I'm going out and it's likely to rain all day I have a Goretex Paclite which is very dry and breathable but is about twice the size rolled up.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I use a Gore oxygen which performs very good and comes with a small bag to keep it in and that just fits snuggly in my jersey pocket but still sticks out a bit or if I go out riding with it on and then decide to take it off I just shove it up the back of my jersey the best I can.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    Honestly? Shorts and a soft shell (with zip off sleeves).

Shorts because your skin is waterproof and dries almost instantly.

A soft shell because, as mentioned, you will end up wet one way or the other, either from sweat or rain and once you are we you are wet.

The key therefore is to be comfortable when you are wet. The problem with waterproof jackets is that whilst they keep the rain out you will just get wet from your sweat and then feel uncomfortable and hot all through the ride.

If you get a soft shell it will keep the rain out until you get sweaty but by then it doesn't matter BUT it will breath properly for the rest of your ride which will keep you comfy, removable sleeves help with the versatility.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Softshell. I've got a Gore Phantom.
  • I have a Castelli Sottile which easily fits into a jersey pocket (about the size of a pair of rolled up socks), it's dry in heavy rain but if it is just showers and then dries out you're kind've stuck wearing it as it isn't the most breathable top. For those rides where it may rain though its a great top. If I'm going out and it's likely to rain all day I have a Goretex Paclite which is very dry and breathable but is about twice the size rolled up.

Any of the castelli jackets would be a good advice - which one depends upon how much 'wet' you envisage being out in and for how long.
  • Long sleeved Castelli gabba is pretty good for most conditions, wind light rain, it has vents so don't need to keep switching clothes.
    I have a sportful survival goretex jacket which is totally waterproof but doesn't pack that small for when it really pees it down.
    As has been previously mentioned a softshell will cover most normal days.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Smidsy made a good point. You will be wet in one way or another so dont worry about rain so much as comfort and warmth. In bad weather I will put on a good base layer. I wear Under Armour compression shirts, They help keep me warm even if I am wet. If its really cold, I wear a soft shell and I put a waterproof layer underneath the shell. 2 Reasons, mine isnt big enough to wear over another jacket and it helps keep the moisture in the shell penetrating through to my base layer making me feel the cold with wind chill.

Sure others have their way but mine works for me.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,140
    ah, april in uk, it could be lovely and warm, or it could be freezing and wet, a bit like june for that matter

castelli legerro - very light, packs small, you could get a few in a jersey pocket, available in both jacket and gilet

it's windproof rather than waterproof, but that's all you need if you are riding reasonably hard, otherwise you'll soon end up drenched in sweat

wearing a mesh base layer is worth considering, they wick well and if you do get drenched they reduce contact chilling from the outer layer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Height of summer and it's raining - agreed re wet on both sides.

Winter, or cool spring/autumn - you don't need to get wet on the inside if you a) spend a bit of money on your waterproof b) know how to layer properly.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Whatever you do, avoid mudguards, they are indeed the devil's spawn.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Thanks for all your comments plenty to think about. MichaelW - too late.......

I'm pretty well sorted for layers all bar the outer one. Anyway it won't rain will it?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    MichaelW wrote:
    Whatever you do, avoid riding behind idiots who do not have mudguards, they are indeed the devil's spawn.

FTFY.

Nothing worse than a face/mouth full of road grime. People who ride in groups without mudguards should be shot :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    I only ever put on a waterproof when its raining. Therefore breathability is out of the window, no fabric will breathe thru a wetted outer fabric. Since 2009 I've use an enduro cheapo orange and black neoprene waterproof. Got me thru the wettest Paris Brest in 50 years in 2011. similar on London Edinburgh London 2009. The neoprene lining has just started to detach from the base fabric. For 35 quid its been an excellent buy
    I ll replace.it with the equivalent Endura waterproof.
    packs easily into a pocket. Not as small as my sportful windproof, but probably one of my best ever buys
    jc