Race training/chain gangs Oxfordshire area

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
edited February 2013 in Amateur race
Hi
I am looking to hook up with some local chain gangs for some mid-week training in the Oxfordshire area (OX10). I'm based down there mid week so just looking for Mon to Fri rides.
I have contacted a couple of clubs in the region but none seem to do specific race training just the weekend club rides. Whilst I'm awaiting a response from a few clubs though, I thought I'd post on here.
Definitely happy to do a little travelling to meet up with any of you who do train regularly.
Any help or advice from you Oxfordshire folk would be greatly received.
S

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Not too sure if it would be too far for you, but check out VC10. They are very much race focused in the week. Turbo's, swimming, core in the village hall and then club rides with different level groups riding out. They enter a lot of races as a club, worth a look.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    OX10 is Wallingford isn’t it? So you’re equidistant from Oxford itself (where you have Zappi’s, Oxford City Road Club and Oxonian CC), and Reading to the south, and to the East is Henley (GS Henley has a lot of very strong riders). Hope that helps…
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Thanks for your response guys. Justin, I am awaiting a response from a few of the clubs you mentioned so hopefully they have some training I can jump on. Will have a look at Reading & Henley. Thanks for your assistance.
  • cojones
    cojones Posts: 131
    I'm looking for the same but I'm 20 miles west of Oxford (and a 40 mile return ride just to ride in an Oxford group doesn't appeal). Anyone know of chaingangs or training around Swindon/Witney/Wantage?

Cheers, Coj
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    there is a regular chaingang every tuesday night - once daylight saving starts.
    it leaves from oxford - corner of marsten ferry road and banbury road at 6pm.
    there are normally several groups to cater for different speed and riders join in from each of the oxford clubs
    regards,
    dbb
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    There is also the Witney Grupetto who ride from the West Witney sports ground at 9.30am every saturday. No website but there is a facebook group somewhere... try https://www.facebook.com/groups/163194583704993/ They generally do 70+ miles.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Once Spring comes round some of the GS Henley guys will up their training. I'll try to remember to post on here when they get started.
    FCN 3 / 4