tyre change from hybrid to road

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
hi
can i put 23mm road tyres on my giant escape 2 hybrid wheels or do i need new ones, also what affect will this have to the handling, any other negative things to consider ?
Ta

Comments

• You'll need to measure your wheel rims and then consult the guideline table towards the bottom of this link:

(it's the red and green table)

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Should sort you out :)
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would add that there is no real benefit of going to 23mm as opposed to 25mm.

25mm can be run at less pressure, are more comfortable and have less rolling resistance than 23mm.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    thanks , sound advise guys.
  • smidsy wrote:
    I would add that there is no real benefit of going to 23mm as opposed to 25mm.

25mm can be run at less pressure, are more comfortable and have less rolling resistance than 23mm.

This.

Use befitting tyres - i.e. very probably the size range that your rims are designed for. Don't feel that you have to turn a bike into something it isn't; it is not as if putting 700x23 tyres on rather than 700x28 is the equivalent of putting the afterburners on. It makes no more sense than putting 35mm tyres on an out-and-out racing machine (even if the clearances did allow it). For what it's worth I have no choice - being a 27" wheel user - but to use 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" tyres, or 28/32mm; I don't spend my every ride bemoaning that fact.