a few points for clarification before i start my 1 x 10 conv

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon,

I have tried searching and have the converting to 1x9 or 1x10 guide saved on my fave's but have a few q's to clarify if possible.

I'm converting my rockhopper expert to a 1 x 10 set up using:

slx triple crank with the rings moved off and a hope 36t in place

- i understand where i need to fix the ring (on the inside of the tabs) and will also use blue threadlock

zee shifter - no problems expected

zee mech - no problems expected

cassette - slx 10sp 11-36t, am i likely to need a spacer to fit this on my exisiting wheels set (stock with specialized and are forumal hubs dt rims (9spd))

chain - kmc x10 .93 - does the large / large and add 2 links method "generally" still work in a 1 x 10 set up?

chain device - superstar bb mounted version, am I right in thinking the fitting of this negates the need for one of the spacers on the drive side?

other than the above points for clarification i think I'm good to go :)

cheers

(will post before and after pics when done)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont use thread lock.
    no. you have got the shorter bolts or a bash/guide ring?
    chain sizing rule does not change.
    yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Remember you might need shorter chainring bolts (or spacers for the old ones) too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You MAY need to grind/file the granny bosses off to clear the chain guide.

Shorter bolts as Nick says for the ring and DO NOT threadlock (where did that come from?)

10speed cassette same width as 8/9 so no spacer needed, rather illogical with more gears to think you need a spacer!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777

Shorter bolts as Nick says for the ring and DO NOT threadlock (where did that come from?)

10speed cassette same width as 8/9 so no spacer needed, rather illogical with more gears to think you need a spacer!

Not so illogical - the shimano 10 speed road blocks need a 1mm spacer to fit on a 9 speed freehub.
  • nicklouse

not at all. most (not all) road 10spd shimano need a spacer to fit on a 8/9/10spd body. ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    So there.

:-)
  • dimmockg
    cheers for all the replies, i do have shorter bolts - forgot to add that in, not sure if i was clear in respect of the threadlock - i thought this may have been needed for the chainring bolts?? I'd read that if metal to metal and no movement then use threadlock, if metal to metal but there is movement use grease??

I had read conflicting advice (various forums) in respect of the spacer, some reported to be needed and some not

fingers crossed it will all be plain sailing and done within a few hours :)
  • nicklouse
    and as we havd said no threadlock.

do you want to be able to get the ring of at some tome in the future?

there is only confliting advice regaring the spacer when people do not know what they are talking about.

with the info you have give - shimano BB cups. shimano cranks and a BB mounted device you lose a spacer.

simples.
  • dimmockg
    many thanks for the swift replies
  • Are you sure 36t front chain ring is way to go? Do you not think that possibly a 33 or 34t would give you a better range?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I use a 36t, find it spot on.
  • I would use thread lock on the chain ring bolts , Just use the non permanent usually a blue colour .