Anyone tried the Aftershokz headphones?

captain_vimes
captain_vimes Posts: 262
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Having read the review on here and seen that a new improved version has just been launched (see here http://www.aftershokz.co.uk/product-p/as320.htm), I am thinking of getting a pair. I would love to be able to listen to my music whilst riding (mainly in the Yorkshire countryside). Anyone with experience? Are they any good and are they safe?

Cheers

Comments

• OK I'll bite.......

I'm sorry but I cannot think for the life of me why anyone would want to wear headphones when riding a bike?? Listen to music at home, in the car, on the toilet but to me it would take away the enjoyment of riding. Each to their own. I used to run half marathons and never once used headphones although many people do, I like to hear my own body and what's going on around it.
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of music if volume kept low. I listen to some music and cycling podcasts and it helps pass the miles. I only have 1 ear plugged in though keep the right ear free so i can hear approaching cars. The only time i like to hear my own body is when i pull the covers over the mrs head at night ;)
  • I have no experience of these yet but have been quite interested in getting some since they came out. They get great reviews in the cycling mags with the only slight negative being that the arms of your sunglasses go exactly where the aftershokz loop over the ear. Be interested to hear some more feedback.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They look quite interesting as they are not in your ear.
    I use H2O Audio in ear buds for running. They are the best I have found as are fully waterproof and have great bass response.
    Having a band around neck just causes issues with normal headphones IME, but as these are not in your ear it might not be a problem.
    Do not think I would cycle with music, but have lots of solo training to do shortly so might give them a whirl if I thought they would be safe and sound ok.
  • The glasses issue could be a problem I guess. And I agree that previous experience with headbands has not been great, but they might suit cycling better than running.

I cycle for pleasure only, and having the option of listening to music whilst cycling can only add to that pleasure when I am in the mood for it. I also enjoy listening to the sounds of the countryside when in the mood for that. Choice is good. :D

I do think I am going to try these.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a bit of music if volume kept low. I listen to some music and cycling podcasts and it helps pass the miles. I only have 1 ear plugged in though keep the right ear free so i can hear approaching cars. The only time i like to hear my own body is when i pull the covers over the mrs head at night ;)

This is of course true though there are people on here that believe that if you are wearing an earphone or two then whatever you are listening to must be amplified to 11.

However, in this case, judging by how he is shouting, Captain Vimes is already half deaf and shouldn't be encouraged to listen to music on or off the bike! :lol:

As for the product - I wouldn't buy anything from a company that thinks 'Aftershokz' is a cool name!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think some of the early posters on this thread have seen 'headphones', threw their hands up in the air and forgot to actually attempt to answer your questions. So, I'll try to answer your questions.

Anyone with experience?

Yes, I have a pair of the newly improved AfterShokz headphones.

Are they any good

Build quality fine, battery life not sure as I haven't exhausted them yet, but suspect easily 10 hours is possible. What I can say is they're very comfortable, I rode from Wirral to Grasmere with them on Dec 21st (110miles) to stay in a cottage over Christmas and my wife had to tell me I still had them on when relaxing with an end of ride cup of tea.
    and are they safe?

This is the kind of discussion that people will try to 'win' rather than actually debate with facts. Suffice to say, Aftershokz still allow you to hear sounds while listening to your music/podcasts or whatever is your preference.

Having said that, I don't think hearing has that much a part to play in overall cycling safety, assuming you can see what's in front with your eyes, and whatever is following could hit you if you're wearing headphones or not.

But, there is an argument imo that using any kind of headphones adds to a distraction if you allow it to. I only use mine for listening to podcasts or radio.

FWIW, I haven't used mine much since getting them, I find cables, selecting podcasts, batteries etc a faff, and would prefer to just get out and ride.

HTH.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    If your in the market for headphone buds you cant beat Skullcandy, they are amazing and are very good value too.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I don't even like wearing my roubaix skull cap (comes over the ears) because I feel isolated - I can't even begin to consider people using headphones while riding.

And as for things hitting you from behind regardless - well at least you may notice (hear) something amiss without headphones and attempt to move.

Anyway - not for me thanks.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dodgy
    smidsy wrote:

And as for things hitting you from behind regardless - well at least you may notice (hear) something amiss without headphones and attempt to move.

Sorry, but I really think that is flawed logic. There really is no way to tell if that car approaching from behind has seen you or not just by listening to it.

If we all really cared that much what following cars are doing, we'd all have mirrors on our bikes, even our bling bikes. We do all have mirrors on our bikes, don't we?

Oh no, it's not cool - viewtopic.php?t=12905137&p=18141117
  • Hi Mate, I use Dre Beats when running and occasionally wear then on short rides at quiet times. I chose them because they seemed the best in the stores I visited compared to Skull Kandy, sony, Bose and a few other premium brands. Ultimately everyone differs in their opinions.
    As for wearing them where riding, if you live by the sword then you die by the sword. If anything does happen while wearing them I imagine you will probably have no chance of a claim.

Pat
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I personally use 8 quid Tesco headphones.

I'll happily spend money on a decent hifi system but headphones all sound the same especially with 20mph wind in the equation.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    dodgy wrote:
    Sorry, but I really think that is flawed logic. There really is no way to tell if that car approaching from behind has seen you or not just by listening to it.

Now who's trying to win?

It does not matter, I am happy without, you are happy with.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dodgy
    What are you talking about? Do you have some kind of "following car has not seen me" detector?

I don't care if people do or do not use headphones. But there's nothing wrong with considering facts.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    dodgy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

If we all really cared that much what following cars are doing, we'd all have mirrors on our bikes, even our bling bikes. We do all have mirrors on our bikes, don't we?

Oh no, it's not cool - viewtopic.php?t=12905137&p=18141117
    I totally and utterly agree with you, they should be banned! Totally irresponsible.
  • I've always thought listening to music through head/earphones while cycling on the road was a bad idea in just the same way as I've always thought driving a car while listening to music through head/earphones is a bad idea. It's not so much about the sound of the music blocking out the sound of potential hazards, it's more that my entire perception of the world around me is dulled when listening to music in such a powerfully intimate way. Car stereos, fine. A radio fixed to you or your bike, no problem.

All of that said, I would be intrigued to try the aftershokz to see what the effect is. I don't want any extra distractions on the commute, but I tend to do longer training rides alone on quiet roads and after a couple of hours with only my thoughts for company it can get a little lonely. I'd love to be able to listen to podcasts, but only if I felt my hearing remained pretty much as focussed as ever.
  • I've always thought listening to music through head/earphones while cycling on the road was a bad idea in just the same way as I've always thought driving a car while listening to music through head/earphones is a bad idea. It's not so much about the sound of the music blocking out the sound of potential hazards, it's more that my entire perception of the world around me is dulled when listening to music in such a powerfully intimate way.

exactly - well said
  • dodgy
    I've always thought listening to music through head/earphones while cycling on the road was a bad idea in just the same way as I've always thought driving a car while listening to music through head/earphones is a bad idea. It's not so much about the sound of the music blocking out the sound of potential hazards, it's more that my entire perception of the world around me is dulled when listening to music in such a powerfully intimate way. Car stereos, fine. A radio fixed to you or your bike, no problem.

All of that said, I would be intrigued to try the aftershokz to see what the effect is. I don't want any extra distractions on the commute, but I tend to do longer training rides alone on quiet roads and after a couple of hours with only my thoughts for company it can get a little lonely. I'd love to be able to listen to podcasts, but only if I felt my hearing remained pretty much as focussed as ever.

Very well put, reasoned post.

Perhaps you could try, then you'd know? Like I said, I quickly discovered I can't be doing with the faff so don't use mine much if at all.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I've always thought listening to music through head/earphones while cycling on the road was a bad idea in just the same way as I've always thought driving a car while listening to music through head/earphones is a bad idea. It's not so much about the sound of the music blocking out the sound of potential hazards, it's more that my entire perception of the world around me is dulled when listening to music in such a powerfully intimate way. Car stereos, fine. A radio fixed to you or your bike, no problem.

Perhaps you could try, then you'd know? Like I said, I quickly discovered I can't be doing with the faff so don't use mine much if at all.

Fancy selling them? ;)
  • dodgy
    hehe, well, they were a birthday present from my wife, and I do use them occasionally. Sorry!

They're a lot cheaper to buy in the US by the way, if you have any friends over there.
  • dodgy wrote:
    hehe, well, they were a birthday present from my wife, and I do use them occasionally. Sorry!

They're a lot cheaper to buy in the US by the way, if you have any friends over there.

I do! Thanks for the tip!
  • dodgy
    dodgy wrote:

I recently started to regularly commute to work, I have a 22 mile each way journey, at least 15 miles of which is completely car free. I started to use the AfterShokz for this journey, it made a huge difference to my ride, listening to podcasts on the way in and usually radio on the way home (streamed over 3g).

I went to put them on again a few days ago and one of the earpieces was just hanging off. I have no idea how or why this happened, so I contacted AfterShokzUK and after establishing there's a 2 year guarantee on these, they agreed to send me a new pair. They even let me pay the difference and use the opportunity to upgrade to the latest Bluetooth versions.

The Bluetooth (Bluez 2) version is MUCH better, improved sound quality, lots more discernible bass but most importantly, no wires. I think you'd be mad to buy the wired version instead of the bluetooth, unless your device didn't support bluetooth of course :)

So there you go, a company with great customer support and the devices keep on improving.
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

I recently started to regularly commute to work, I have a 22 mile each way journey, at least 15 miles of which is completely car free. I started to use the AfterShokz for this journey, it made a huge difference to my ride, listening to podcasts on the way in and usually radio on the way home (streamed over 3g).

I went to put them on again a few days ago and one of the earpieces was just hanging off. I have no idea how or why this happened, so I contacted AfterShokzUK and after establishing there's a 2 year guarantee on these, they agreed to send me a new pair. They even let me pay the difference and use the opportunity to upgrade to the latest Bluetooth versions.

The Bluetooth (Bluez 2) version is MUCH better, improved sound quality, lots more discernible bass but most importantly, no wires. I think you'd be mad to buy the wired version instead of the bluetooth, unless your device didn't support bluetooth of course :)

So there you go, a company with great customer support and the devices keep on improving.

Thanks..... I spent last night researching the three aftershockz models, and then a kickstarter project "Headbones", but that one I missed and is only about to be released for Christmas... If i had been in on the ground floor(kickstarter completed now) I might have plumped for them as they have a nice carbon version, however it seems they are ditching the microphone for the first batch due to the high battery usage of the noise cancelling for the Mic, so an additional 'pro' has been lost...

so that effectively leaves me with the Bluez 2's... I have had a very quick listen to the standard wired version on a shop assistants mp3 player, and found them quite 'buzzy and leaky, (something the headbones, say they are dialling out) but i am keen to try the Blutooth Bluez 2's so your update of this thread is perfect timing for me :)

I think many of the posts missed the point of these, I appreciate any sort of music/phone conversation etc is 'a' distraction, but these provide it without the 'Isolation', that standard earbuds/over-ears cause.

My only fear(s) , without a longer trial, is whether the vibration effect would become tiresome, and the lack of bass and general sound quality, but as SQ. isn't what they are for in this instance, I think I'm going to take a punt...

Thanks Dodgy, the fact you mention the improvement in sound quality is the added info I needed :)

Now if only I had an american source... this $ =£ thing really bugs me...
    Nick
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I have the Bluez 2's and only find the vibration an issue if they're turned up to maximum (and even then it's dependant on what you're listening to). I solve the vibrations by turning it down 1-2 notches at most, that gets rid of any vibration and I can still hear the music perfectly.

With regards to sound quality etc, I had heard some negative things about music quality before I got them, but I've never had any problems. They're not going to have tons of bass and the sound quality won't match high end corded headphones, but then that's not the point of them.

I've worn them for hours and never had an issue with comfort or sound quality. I also took the chance to wear them on the Ride London/Surrey 100 earlier this year. It was pouring rain for most of it and they never missed a beat. The more recent ones (I think June/July onwards) also have a new coating on them to make them even more resistant to moisture (or so I was told by the aftershock guys at the stand when I registered for the London ride).
  • dodgy
    Try listening to Awolnation 'sail' on full volume. The bluez 2's were almost bouncing off my head! ;) I think it has an almost inaudible low bass on that one.

That's the only track that really makes the vibration noticeable, for me.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    They look interesting (I usually wear headphones on solo night rides, helps pass the time quicker and I don't hear any boogie men/werewolves chasing me). Don't the over-ear bits snag glasses arms though and how about the rear bit snagging on helmet cradles? I take it the bone conduction means wind noise interference isn't an issue either?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    IWANTBLUE wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Thanks..... I spent last night researching the three aftershockz models, and then a kickstarter project "Headbones", but that one I missed and is only about to be released for Christmas... If i had been in on the ground floor(kickstarter completed now) I might have plumped for them as they have a nice carbon version, however it seems they are ditching the microphone for the first batch due to the high battery usage of the noise cancelling for the Mic, so an additional 'pro' has been lost...
    so that effectively leaves me with the Bluez 2's... I have had a very quick listen to the standard wired version on a shop assistants mp3 player, and found them quite 'buzzy and leaky, (something the headbones, say they are dialling out) but i am keen to try the Blutooth Bluez 2's so your update of this thread is perfect timing for me :)

I think many of the posts missed the point of these, I appreciate any sort of music/phone conversation etc is 'a' distraction, but these provide it without the 'Isolation', that standard earbuds/over-ears cause.

My only fear(s) , without a longer trial, is whether the vibration effect would become tiresome, and the lack of bass and general sound quality, but as SQ. isn't what they are for in this instance, I think I'm going to take a punt...

Thanks Dodgy, the fact you mention the improvement in sound quality is the added info I needed :)

Now if only I had an american source... this $ =£ thing really bugs me...
    Nick

This looks like the finished version, and it does include the mic according to the specs...

https://www.damsonaudio.com/products/Details.aspx?p=55

They look quite swish - although a bit weighty?
  • I have just done a quick search of bone conduction headphones and there are the headbones, Aftershokz and one other I found (can't remember the name now). So far the only reviews I have seen on them have been the Aftershokz and they all complain that the bass is not that good because it causes vibration that is noticeable. Just remembered, there is the Sennheiser/Adidas PX685i and PMX685i headphones. They are not bone conduction but they do not block outside sound due to some fancy design. They are about £40 too which IIRC the Aftershokz are a bit more in price. Check out the review on London cyclist website - http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/adidas-h ... s-cycling/

Just remembered there is a brand called earhero too. These are the earbuds that go into the ear but do not block out the external sounds making them sound ok for cycling use.

BTW to all those knee jerk people who just replied along the lines of headphones while cycling is bad because they isolate you from the world you really should read up on these before commenting. They are not normal headphones but they transmit sound to you from your music/media player but do not stop external sounds getting into your ear. Whilst any extra sond you apply to yourself in the form of music or podcasts can reduce your attention this is no more than being in a car listening to music/podcasts or indeed holding a conversation. How many club cyclists chat along their club runs? Perhaps cycling (and driving) should be done in silence without speech, music or telephone calls. If in cars wind the windows down so the external noiise is not deadened by the sealed vehicle.
    IMHO using these newer types of headphones is no more dangerous than any other distraction you have in cars or cycling or as a pedestrian. That includes some fancy bike computer/GPS that you keep checking to see if you are beating yourself on some Strava segment or a phone you haven't turned off or chatting away with your mates. That means, IMHO of course, that it is only a matter of preference whether you use them. So basically if you have no information on these Aftershokz, or their alternatives, or can not give a review then your information is pretty useless to the OP. The OP did not ask if all headphones are safe to use cycling only what are they like (he did ask if they are safe but I took that as being related to the ability to hear external noise while using them).
  • Bump... I never got around to picking them up and hoped for Black Friday discount, but yet again the gulf between US and UK widens with a nice 20 % off in the US AND NOTHING IN THE UK :(

any ,more purchasers or feedback before I resign myself to full price?

cheers, Nick
  • I've had two, both died. The first within 3 months and returned under warranty, the second lasted just over the one year warranty. They were fine while they worked, not a distraction, but I only listen to spoken word podcasts. Wearing glasses was an issue though.

I'm not going to buy a third set.