Man down - twice!

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Ruddy hell, but it was icey this morning, one scary moment when just touching the back brake locked it up and sent it sideways, then when I had to brake for a junction, the instant I touched the rear lever the back came round and down I went at about 15mph (Been coasting for a way), then coming through a car park at work the front just washed out and I diod my best to even up the damege on the other side!

Small hole in my Lidl softshell top on the right elbow, some small holes in the panniers and some more wear to the pedal tips.

Less damage than the 5 crashed cars I saw, and the one on it's roof resulting in a road closure I didn't!

Not sure where the 2 second (personal) best Strava times came from!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Ruddy hell, but it was icey this morning, one scary moment when just touching the back brake locked it up and sent it sideways, then when I had to brake for a junction, the instant I touched the rear lever the back came round and down I went at about 15mph (Been coasting for a way), then coming through a car park at work the front just washed out and I diod my best to even up the damege on the other side!

Small hole in my Lidl softshell top on the right elbow, some small holes in the panniers and some more wear to the pedal tips.

Less damage than the 5 crashed cars I saw, and the one on it's roof resulting in a road closure I didn't!

Ice = less friction = faster speed!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Blimey! That doesn't sound like fun. The problem I have in those conditions is freeing the saddle from my clenched buttocks.
    Something to do with not being able to use the brakes? I got a KOM in snow on an MTB, unfortunately Padders took it off me that afternoon.
  • The Rookie
    I just don't get the Strava times, I was taking it easy after coming off!

Full assesment of the damage isn't too bad, small hole in the Lidl soft shell (it's 3 years old anyway was due for renewal this autumn) and a scuff to the palm of my new gloves (but nothing serious) skinned elbow (sore but not weeping) and a bruised ankle. Cars off all over the show though! 3 cars at work damaged, several others reporting hitting kerb etc as well (out of about 200 employees).

Panniers now bearing a few holes so will have to consider some new ones!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Joined the club this morning - 20mph off-camber left hand corner. Just traveling too fast for the conditions. I was conscious of this but just didn't slow down enough in time. Normally I'm going for it through the corner but this morning I could see something was up but just didn't realise quick enough to do much about it.

Lost one of the little name plates/covers on the left hood gear changer - not sure what I'm going to do about that - spares seem expensive (my poor bike has taken a right hammering the last few months.)

Also small holes in jacket, arm warmer and shorts (damn) - live with or repairable. Ripped winter glove - repairable.

Oh and weeping elbow and leg but nothing serious.

Be careful out there people.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • I just don't get the Strava times, I was taking it easy after coming off!

Adrenaline? I know I had a massive adrenaline rush after a "life flashing before my eyes" experience when I came upon a load of hard-frozen snow/ice at 30mph+ at the corner of the bottom of the hill. I managed to hold my nerve and balance and stayed upright - all the way up the other side I was just killing myself laughing out of sheer adrenaline. Don't suppose you had an HR monitor on did you?

Be careful out there. I've learned that frost on the car is likely to mean ice on the roads somewhere. It's especially bad at this time of year when the surface temperature has dropped and the thermal inertia means air temperature isn't a good guide.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Although it was 3'C when I left home the puddles in Bushy Park were still frozen so I was a little circumspect. It's now about 9'C and sunny so I don't think it will be a problem going home.
  • The Rookie
    Adrenaline?
    You could be right... Nothing else makes sense.

Looking back I'm surprised I didn't come off more as certain places were literally a sheet of ice!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I went over on ice once, the bike was beneath me, then it just wasn't there.

The palm of my hand had enough grit embedded in it to cover scotland and I have to admit, my bottom lip wobbled it hurt so much.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Surprised you had so much trouble. I was back on 25mm GP4seasons yesterday after being on spiked tyres on Monday and Wednesday and I obviously got lucky! Saying that, I saw a learner driver who'd very nearly put the car into a ditch, on her test by the looks of it.vlcsnap-2013-02-16-11h48m10s97.png

EDIT: The ice did get me a while ago though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvDdC5WMc8 :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    You must have been lucky Mark, certain roads were lethal... Others were completely clear, also the srface made a difference!
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    That'll explain why I haven't had so many problems yet commuting through Nottingham. A lot of the roads there are resembling Swiss cheese more every month that passes. It seems the surface on a lot of roads is getting rougher too.
  • The Rookie
    The lethal road was freshly surfaced (all new, 6 months ago) and was dreadful, the safer road was a much older and coarser surface....litteraly from sheet ice one side of a crossroads to fine the other side!
  • It's why I run Ice Spikers and nothing else. They are just brilliant on sheet ice. Often have to do miles of nothing but sheet ice and I've not even had a "moment" in the last 3 years. I think I'll need to treat myself to a new set next year as they're looking a bit tired now.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, but my route (bar the first 100 yards) is normally 100% gritted, so they aren't worth it for me!