Wanted to try another tyre..

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
On my bike at the moment I have a pair of Bontranger XR1's @ £23.00 and they are OK but as they are nearing the end of there life time I want to try another tyre..

Just wondered if there was anything better perhaps or better and cheaper £23.00.. Continental Mountain King at the same price or the cheaper version @ £14..
I dont mind dearer tyres by the way.

I want good rolling road and a good level of grip type tyre, I dont want an out and out road tyre or an out an out mud tyre but somewhere in the middle..

Cheers

Comments

• Comtinental x king black chilli roll amazingly well on hardpack/ road and grip well.
    Schwalbe racing ralph evo are fast too and perhaps the quickest with a decent tread.
    Kenda small block 8 are brilliant in the dry and on the road but suffer from grip on anything else. Not quite as qck as the ralph.
    Scwalbe furious Fred are the quickest but have little grip.

All from bikediscount.de and cheaper than anywhere else.

If you want more budget style then schwalbe smart sams or specialized Fast Trak lk or maybe sammy slicks.
  • skooter
    Thanks for a great reply, I will look at the tyres you have suggested..

Cheers.
  • skooter
    Comtinental x king black chilli roll amazingly well on hardpack/ road and grip well.
    Schwalbe racing ralph evo are fast too and perhaps the quickest with a decent tread.
    Kenda small block 8 are brilliant in the dry and on the road but suffer from grip on anything else. Not quite as qck as the ralph.

If you want more budget style then schwalbe smart sams or specialized Fast Trak lk or maybe sammy slicks.

Morning Penguin..

Tried your link but couldn'f find the x king chilli, and a question or two please.
    I like the look of the smart sams but they come in different prices which one's have you tried.. and for postage reasons did it matter if you had folding or non folding tyres..

Cheers
  • http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... tubes.html

Smart sam is ok but its a cheaper end tyre. Folding is usually better. Better compounds to improve grip and longevity. Folding are always lighter thn wired also and this is always nice.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... lding.html

These are also great. Im using them after a recommendation. They are very fast and strong. Thr price quoted was the main reason to buy them as they are silly cheap. The snakeskin walls would be perfect for those sharp little rocks you get in Spain on the trails. They do come up big though and arent as light as the x kings. The only fault i have with mine are the clearance with my Reba forks in the mud. However, i doubt you would have that problem.

I recon the x king would suit your conditions more though.
  • skooter
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a67530/x-king-racesport-22-special-package-incl-2-inner-tubes.html

Smart sam is ok but its a cheaper end tyre. Folding is usually better. Better compounds to improve grip and longevity. Folding are always lighter thn wired also and this is always nice.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... lding.html

These are also great. Im using them after a recommendation. They are very fast and strong. Thr price quoted was the main reason to buy them as they are silly cheap. The snakeskin walls would be perfect for those sharp little rocks you get in Spain on the trails. They do come up big though and arent as light as the x kings. The only fault i have with mine are the clearance with my Reba forks in the mud. However, i doubt you would have that problem.

I recon the x king would suit your conditions more though.

With only 15 days rain a year I'm lucky I dont do any wet riding, so its all dry trails of gravel, hardpack dirt and a few rocky bits, plus a bit nof tarmac. ( plus I'm not racing just plodding along)

I did look at them Racing Ralp's but I think I will try a pair of those X kings and see how I go.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Vinnyc19
    Vinnyc19 Posts: 202
    Xkings were fine for me in the dry, not so good in the main but that shouldn't be a major issue for you
  • skooter
    Comtinental x king black chilli roll amazingly well on hardpack/ road and grip well.

Morning Penguin..

I've been looking at the Conti X kings and they come in several types..
    X King Pro Tection
    X king Race Sport.
    Plus the Supersonic which has the chilli compound but not the X..

I like the look Race Sport so are they all about the same?

Cheers
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Aspen
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Michelin dry mountains may suite you, super fast rolling, very little wear, great grip on rocks but the grip falls of heaviliy when it's wet on hard surfaces like rocks and roots although they are OK on wet mud as long as it's just a surface slime, they are cheap as chips (mine cost £10 each for folders) and fairly light (644g).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd get Snakeskin Ralphs, decent '3-season' tyre, and fantastic in the dry.
  • I'd go with the suggestions for Ralf too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • skooter
    Just checked the prices at CRC...

What does the Snakeskin Ralf have for about £10 more per tyre than the Evo one.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    skooter wrote:
    Just checked the prices at CRC...

What does the Snakeskin Ralf have for about £10 more per tyre than the Evo one.

sidewalls that don't explode and a good level of puncture resistance. Touch wood I've had no punctures with mine, and that includes riding over cleared brambles, gorse and lots of other trail nasties. They're quite a bit heavier though and quite stiff.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • skooter
    OK just an update.

After a lot of thinking I sorted my list of tyres down to two.. the Conti X Race Sport ( chili) and the Schwalbe Racing Ralf (Snakeskin) and it was a close call I must say and could of gone either way, so I looked for the cheapest outlet and the German bikediscount came out the best with some really good prices but..... and there's always a but the web site was very confusing in the Schwalbe section with too many options most of which I didn't understand?
    But the Conti was far more straight forward so in the end I opted for the Conti x (chili) which was €67 with postage for two tyres with tubes to Spain, € 34 each.
    I will see how I get on with these and take it from there.

The rate of tyre wear on my OE tyres is not too good and I dont expect much above 600/650 kms (400 miles) so it wont be long till I change over to the Conti's.
    So thanks for all you help and advise..