Does anyone use VOIP for their home phone?

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
As title, just looking in to this. We have no need for a land line anymore (apart from phone) as our rural broadband is now provided via a totally wireless system (transmitters/receivers) & not though a phone line. Telly is via satellite.

Looked at Vonage, for £5.99 per month you can use your existing house phone (via adaptor into router) just as before but it uses the internet rather than a phone line. £5.99 is for unlimited UK 01,02,03 numbers per month.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this technology (voip) or even Vonage as a provider?

Thanks
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• We use Orange for broadband in France and while we still have to pay for a phone line we don't have a phone connected to it, our phones are connected to the broadband router. VOIP seems to work well for us.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • We use Orange for broadband in France and while we still have to pay for a phone line we don't have a phone connected to it, our phones are connected to the broadband router. VOIP seems to work well for us.

Thanks for the reply. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Use it abroad in Spain and it works really well for us. Took a bit of getting used to & when move later this year might do the same thing and ditch our land line at home.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Made the switch to Vonage and been using this for a month now. No issues at all and superior to BT in every way!! No line rental to pay either. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't require a landline for their broadband. Man, they even email my voicemails and transcribe them to text to me, full control of all features online. Superb!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6