Removing fulcrum freehub

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Fulcrum racing 5 rear wheel - want to swap shimano freehub with campy freehub

So far I've used 2 x 17mm wrenches removed the non-freehub side nut and cap, pushed the axle out of the wheel, at the moment have the axle with freehub still on, how do I remove this freehub form the axle? Force or some other way, the nut and freehub still exist on the hub side. All I need to do is remove this Shimano freehub and stick on the campy one.

Anyone know how to remove the freehub from axle!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • canoas
    I saw this doc on page 67 this refers to all Fulcrum wheels apart from 5 and 7

i.e - the 5mm hex can't be used on 5's just a round hole, maybe I should put the axle back in tighten and use a screwdriver to loosen the spacer? I don't think this is method though!

any ideas...
  • nicklouse
    post up pictures of what you have in-front of you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    i would rest the body on a vice and with a soft face mallet tap the axle out of it.

looked at page 12 of the above link.
  • canoas
    That's what I saw thinking, don't have a mallet or a vice.

oh well looks like I'll have to take it to my cycle shop.

so close but so far!
  • nicklouse
    then try this. but axle on floor and press on the body to try and get it to slide down the shaft.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the OP never got an answer and I'm facing the same problem...

My wheels are Fulcrum 5 2014's.

From my picture below is there nothing else stopping the freehub coming off and I just need to apply force so it slides off at the drive side? There is a spacer on there that seems to not budge.

http://postimg.org/image/lntufih6r/
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    I had some help from a chap at Woodrup Cycles in Leeds (always good to know decent bike shops). The freehub as pictured in the above post is ready to come off. In my case the outer bearing had collapsed so the freehub needed a tap to come off.

The bearings in this Fulcrum 5 2014 wheel freehub are 6803-2RS, different from previous years Fulcrum 5's.