Replacing Giant MPH disc pads

markis
markis Posts: 43
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have just replaced Giant MPH disc pads and problem is brake won't work. I should point out before replacing the pads , when I applied the brake, the brake handle moved back without any force, say 60%, before there was any pressure applied. Now what I want to know is how do I correctly correct this,is it a cable issue or do my brakes need bled, or topped up or could it be both.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how is it not working?

what cables? did not know the MPH had cables.

which MPH brake is it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • markis
    Well that's what I'm posting the question here, I dunno why it's not working. When I squeeze the brake handle it goes all the way to the handlebar without the brakes being applied.

Don't have the user manual, it's a Giant XTC 4.5, 2008 or 2009 model.
  • Well what did they do before you changed the pads? You must have done something to them otherwise they would have been like that before too
  • nicklouse
    markis wrote:
    Well that's what I'm posting the question here, I dunno why it's not working. When I squeeze the brake handle it goes all the way to the handlebar without the brakes being applied.

Don't have the user manual, it's a Giant XTC 4.5, 2008 or 2009 model.
    have a read of this

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12561058

and you might see what the problem is.

and i will see is i can see which brakes were fitted as standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    so the brakes are the GIANT MPH Root hydraulic disc so no manual pad adjustment.
  • markis
    I took my bike into a local shop to get a chainset and chain and sproket replaced, it came back with the brake not working fully and I thought, disk brakes are easy to do, and do it myself, but obviously they are not.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you saying the the levers pull back to the bars?
  • nicklouse
    so how is it not working?
  • markis
    YES
  • supersonic
    First pull the lever lots of time sin succession. if that fails try try advancing pads.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... qkm_dHQ6lw

Same method for your brakes. If that fails, rebleed
  • markis
    That's some help, but not a lot. Novices like myself want a straightforward description and explanation, a bit like Haynes car manuals which has ' levels of difficulty' and tools required for the job. Giant' s website is of no help , can't find anything there.
  • Brakes and suspension are intricate things on bikes with high difficulty to fix with specific bike tools.

The rest requires a few specific tool and has a difficult of 1-2 out of 5, the trick is speed often
  • markis
    Ideally I would like to watch someone do this , then at least I would know what needs doing and possible problems arising and how to fix them.
  • supersonic
    Take it to a shop and get them to fix it. Ask if you can watch.

The avid guide even simpler (if you don't have access to pad spacer).

Remove wheel.
    Pull lever until pads rest 3mm apart.
    Refit wheel.
    Centre caliper.
    Ride.

Have you tried just pulling the lever many times in succession?
  • markis
    Yeah, have tried pulling the lever a good few times in succession. When I refitted to the brake pads, I had to push the piston bolts back with a plastic adaptor so that I could fit the disc pads. As mentioned earlier, there is nothing in the brake handle when you pull it, it just goes right to the handle.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    markis wrote:
    I took my bike into a local shop to get a chainset and chain and sproket replaced, it came back with the brake not working fully and I thought, disk brakes are easy to do, and do it myself, but obviously they are not.

In the future, take them up on something like that right away. It's probably too long/you've messed around too much for them to accept responsibility.

If it worked when you took it in to them and now it does not work, they must fix their mistake/error.
  • markis
    SUCCESS ! have done it ! today phoned up a community Bike place who let you bring your bike into the workshop and use the tools for a nominal fee. I explained what the problem was, told him I had a 'bleeding kit' and he said it's really easy to do (where have I heard that before ), and he agreed to talk me through it over the phone and I done it ! I'm really pleased as I now have the confidence and know how , and will be able to do it in the future . You know what, it really is simple , why oh why instructions have to be so damned complicated to explain things ?