Evans Woking 90miler 8th April

Bit the bullet and signed up to this earlier.
Haven't done over 55miles before and not in great shape still post-Xmas so I've put my name down for this as motivation to get into some kind of half decent nick.

Anyone done it before/got anything to say about it?
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'm sure my mate FleetPaul will be along in a minute to tell you that this is one of his favourite events. I know he's signed up for it again this year and it trying to persuade me to do the same. His view is that they are very well run, good value events and that it's a very enjoyable route.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Thanks Fuggles.

Yep, an excellent early season sportive. I did the 60 miler last year. A really enjoyable ride along mostly quiet roads. Although it takes you into the Surrey Hills you don't tackle any of the major climbs. It was only getting over the Hogs Back (twice) that pushed me into the granny gears and out of the saddle. I'm signed up for the 60 miler this year but may well stretch to the 90 miler on the day. I think that route takes you into West Sussex as far as Arundel, again great territory without getting too lumpy.

I did a couple of Evans sportives last year and couldn't fault them. Plenty of clear signage, good feed stations, slick organisation and helpful staff. A bargain at £15, especially when some sportives are charging double that for a similar package. I'm sure after Woking you'll be back for more. The Evans Dorking sportive takes on the Surrey Hills proper including Leith Hill and Combe Bottom if you fancy a more challenging ride.
  • Sounds good.
    Went out and did 55 flat miles yesterday so fairly optimistic about being ready for 90 in 7 weeks time.

This was last years 90 mile route, looks like around 4000ft of elevation gain spread out across the course.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1135372
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Ah, so that wasn't the route that heads down into West Sussex. So many sportives starting out in Surrey that I'm getting them confused. Anyway, for a 90 miler a 4000 foot elevation gain isn't too bad and the additional 30 miles takes you through some really nice lanes on the Hants / Surrey border. Just need to persuade my riding partner that he's got the legs for the extended distance.
  • the_fuggler
    I'll be safely tucked up in a hostelry somewhere drinking coffee and eating cake while you're enjoying those extra miles...!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Anyone know how many people tend to do these rides and what the spread of finishing times usually is?
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • the_fuggler
    About 600 runners and riders last year. Fairly decent spread of times:

http://www.evanscycles.com/uploads/File ... 0times.pdf
    FCN 3 / 4
  • About 600 runners and riders last year. Fairly decent spread of times:

http://www.evanscycles.com/uploads/File ... 0times.pdf

Cheers. Looks like just under 100 finished the Long one then last time, fairly even spread of times between 5hrs to 7.5hrs.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Longest ride in prep for this so far has been 60 miles with 5000ft of climbing last week. Hope to do 70ish over Easter and hopefully that will see me through. Weather not been ideal for preparing!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • FleetPaul
    FleetPaul Posts: 18
    Well you've done better than me chap! Admittedly I'm doing the 60 miler but my longest ride this year has been 50 miles and 2,300 feet of climbing. That was in early Feb. I can't recall the exact elevation gain for the 90 miler Woking route but I know the extended section into Hampshire and it's 'rolling' rather than 'hilly'. I'm sure you'll be fine although a 70 miler over Easter would set you up nicely. It's a cliche to talk about the weather but it has been shocking. Last year's Woking sportive was on this very day and we basked in beautiful spring sunshine. What I'd give for some of that now...
  • charliew87
    Bloody hell. 5 days left. Did a 60 miler on Sunday in the freezing cold and 15mph winds.
    Forecast for Sunday varies between good and cold + windy depending on where you look. Hoping for the former.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • FleetPaul
    It's going to be fine chap. The north easterly wind that's been plaguing us for the last two weeks should be done by the weekend. Sunday temperatures up to a tropical 8 degrees. Still not great for springtime but after what we've endured recently it'll feel like summer. Bring it on!
  • the_fuggler
    You don't need to worry Charlie - Paul and I did a 50 miler on Monday. He's in no sort of shape. If he can get round anyone can....!!

Good luck and enjoy the day!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    This is the 7th isn't it?

Either way, I can't ride it anymore so if anyone wants a free place then just give me a shout.
  • charliew87
    Ka-boom. Job done. Probably the nicest day of the year so far so bloody well timed Mr Evans.

Other than coming back over the Hogs-Back after around 70 miles it wasn't too strenuous. Well organised, enjoyed my first sportive experience greatly.

Came home in around 6h20 (5h58 moving time) so pretty happy with that. Onwards & upwards.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Well done! It was my first sportive as well, head said do the 60, heart said do the 90. Heart won the day, I did 6:13 moving time 5:50 so we wern't far apart time wise. I'm well pleased as my previous longest ride was 66 miles. Really enjoyed the ride but was surprised at how much of it I ended up doing on my own.

Lovely weather too after all the crap of the last few weeks. I think you'll find the best day of the year was March 5th! It was 16c and the only time this year I have been out without tights and n layers. Didn't last long though.
    Alan
  • FleetPaul
    Yep, a superb ride on a beautiful day. That's two years running this event has lucked out with the weather. 60 miler for me, 3h 40m moving time, 3h 45m elapsed. More than happy with that. The field was strung out at times but a lot of people started very early. I was underway at 9.10 and was told 500 riders were already ahead of us. It's an excellent early season route and that return climb over the Hogs Back was easier than I remember, or maybe I'm in better shape than last year. Beautiful sweeping descent down the other side and I found myself in a bunch for the final 10 miles that I lead rather more than I would have liked. Surely the bloke on the Colnago CLX could have done a bit of work on the front?

Hats off again to Evans for a superb inclusive event. I'm your stereotypical MAMIL but I liked seeing hybrids, mountain bikes and even a Pashley with basket at the start line, presumably doing the fun or short route. I didn't sample the feed stations but I was happy with a stack of High 5 freebies that were probably worth more than the £15 entry fee. Signage spot on as always which is 80% of the job done but not all sportives get it right. Back again for more next year.
  • charliew87
    I massively lucked out on the puncture front. Saw lots of people replacing tubes on the way round. When I got home I discovered I'd left my tyre levers on the kitchen table!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • the_fuggler
    charliew87 wrote:
    I massively lucked out on the puncture front. Saw lots of people replacing tubes on the way round. When I got home I discovered I'd left my tyre levers on the kitchen table!

If I ride this next year, I want to ride with you just in case that luck rubs off on me!!

Good work all concerned. Certainly looked like a good day for it!
    FCN 3 / 4