Should I get My Wheel Checked Out

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Whilst riding on Sunday I was faced with a lake across the width of the road and, inevitably, managed to find a massive pothole hidden in it. I wasn't doing much over 10mph but I hit it with a whack (nothing do do with my 15 stone obviously) and came to a complete stop with a really jarring impact through both wrists and arms. Checking the front wheel out it spins true and none of the spokes seem loose but should I get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing?

Cheers

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    (Ignoring the spam) If your wheel is still round and with no sideways wobble, you've probably got away with it. Bicycle wheels are a lot stronger than some people imagine.

I've hit potholes so hard / fast that I've had a pinch flat and thought I'd broken my wrists. Wheels stayed true, and that's on RS10s which are relatively low spoke count.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Here you will get perfect solution for your queries.

Just not from him or me for that matter!!

Seriously it might not be a bad thing to have your local shop look at it for you, if they're reputable then I'm sure if it is ok they'll tell you?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Depends what you expect the LBS to tell you that wouldn't be visible to you with a close visual inspection. The impact point might be visible in which case concentrate on that area looking for cracks & deviations from the straight & narrow around the rim; are any spoke nipples loose, or not square in their recess, and does the hub look ok where the shock was transmitted? I'd do all this with the tyre tube & rim tape out of the way to have a better view.
  • If it is spinning true then the only possible damage would be a flat spot on the wheel. If you're really worried, take off tire and tube, replace wheel in frame and with a metal ruler or similar held against the frame (so it can't move) but is just able to touch the rim spin the wheel, if there is constant contact then the wheel is still round but if part of the rim moves away from the ruler then you may have a flat spot so then maybe take to your LBS? Just a cheep wheel trueing trick
  • If it is spinning true then the only possible damage would be a flat spot on the wheel. If you're really worried, take off tire and tube, replace wheel in frame and with a metal ruler or similar held against the frame (so it can't move) but is just able to touch the rim spin the wheel, if there is constant contact then the wheel is still round but if part of the rim moves away from the ruler then you may have a flat spot so then maybe take to your LBS? Just a cheep wheel trueing trick

^-^ Very sensible advice.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.