Assos V Udderly cream

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Im new to cycling so sorry if this has been asked a million times, i am after some chamois cream and have seen these 2 creams and both have good reviews but is the assos one really worth paying twice as much and roughly how many rides would a tub last ( i know it depends how much you put on,but just on average ) Cheers

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    sudocreme
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I can only speak from experience with assos, but a pot lasts a long time. I tend to only use it on 300km and over, but always carry a small pot (one of the ones that comes with their shorts) with me just in case of issues on shorter rides.

I'd guess that you'd get maybe 50 applications from a large pot - so maybe 50 rides?

It does work and make a difference for longer days in the saddle.

Budget option is a tube of conotrane from the chemists (sort of an easier to apply sudocrem). Works very well during rides and post ride recovery if you've got challenges with sores.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have only used the Assos one so have nothing to compare it too .......... but it does smell nice :D

Hey, I didn't get a pot with my shorts! :cry:
  • marcusjb
    Carbonator wrote:
    I have only used the Assos one so have nothing to compare it too .......... but it does smell nice :D

Certainly with all my Mille shorts, I got a wash bag, wash liquid and a tiny pot of bum cream. Couple of years ago, but I assumed they still did this.

Te little pot is really useful. As I said I carry it all the time, as you can get caught out on shorter rides (especially when it is really hot or really wet when water/sweat can cause problems).
  • marcusjb
    Tom Dean wrote:
    sudocreme

Conotrane. Worth a try. It is easier to apply and cheaper (you will need to ask the chemist for it, they will want to sell you sudocreme as it is the more expensive market leader). Last tube I bought was under £1.50.
  • I'll add that I have used the Udderly cream for years & it works well. Come out of the pot rather thick so tend not to use too much in each application.

I know a lot of people don't like wiggle but their user reviews are by people who have purchased the item & both get good reviews.

Might be interesting to note that as well as the price difference there is difference in the size of the tub in favour of the Udderly so it make the price difference even greater.

Think you can see from peoples posts that both do a good job & I'm sure you'll be onto a winner which ever one you go with.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    marcusjb wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Certainly with all my Mille shorts, I got a wash bag, wash liquid and a tiny pot of bum cream. Couple of years ago, but I assumed they still did this.

Te little pot is really useful. As I said I carry it all the time, as you can get caught out on shorter rides (especially when it is really hot or really wet when water/sweat can cause problems).

I got the wash bag but nothing else.
    I have put some in a little zip lock bag but its not ideal.
    Have just had a thought. Going to try using a syringe. Would be even more handy than a pot if it works ;-)

Update: syringe worked well (stubby modern type you get free with kids medicine instead of a little plastic spoon these days).No prob getting it in, easy to carry and dispense. Nice to have a measured amount too........ Sorted!
  • I’ve tried Assos and Rapha and they both do the job well. The Rapha one smells the best though (and no it doesn’t smell of burnt money ;-))

No idea why anyone would want to smother Sudocreme on their bits and go for a ride. It’s the wrong constancy!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I used udderly on a coast to coast and was fine, much thinner than sudocreme so rubs in better. Sudocreme also stops the moisture as its a barrier creme, where the udderly is more like a moisturiser
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    I use the Assos Chamois Cream... never tried the udderly but due to a post I posted a while ago I do use Superdrugs own body butter. It's very cheap and is a touch looser than Assos, however I do prefer vaseline *scorn* :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I found the Udderly did not perform well in the hot weather, obviously this only happens a couple of times a year in the UK
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've used both. Udderly is thinner and has a strongish "perfume" smell. Assos is thicker, you don't need as much, it has only a faint, pleasant smell and gives a cooling, tingly sensation. I find Assos more effective at stopping chafing and it feels nicer.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I used to just use Assos but I'm sure they changed their formula a year or so back as I got a reaction from it on a new pot (I guess could have been a dodgy pot...) so switched to Udderly Smooth. Seems to perform identically to me but I think lacks the anti-bacterial stuff in Assos (not had a saddle sore whilst using either though). Udderly doesn't have a perfumed smell either, it's just a bit of a 'hand cream' type smell (but not strong so not noticeable).
    Sudocreme is good for treating saddle soreness (from chafing) but it's not great as a chamois cream IME as it's just too greasy - I don't want to spend 5 minutes scrubbing my hands after putting the stuff on. I also question whether it comes out properly in a 30c wash.