Rock shox reba setup and maintenance (Dalby Forest)

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to know the right way to set the forks up best for dalby forest on a HT Boardman Pro. At the moment i have them set up with 110+ 105- as im 161 pounds and 3 'clicks' of the damper. Also how do you go about maintaining them, ive never had air forks before so anything would be helpful, thank you.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set the sag. set the neg air to about the same.

and the rest is all up to you and your riding style and the trails.

PS it is covered in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Maintenance wise, make sure you clean the stantions after e ery ride with a clean cloth. A dry chain lubeapplied around the seals or fork juice helps too.
    If you are technically confident drop the lowers off every year and clean them inside and lube the foam rings and seals.
    Fortunately Rebas are pretty durable.
    Just be careful that you clean them frequently and avoid scratching the stations.

If you aren't confident about taking them apart send them to Loco or TFT. Cost about £100.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I serviced mine recently after not touching them for 6 years (through laziness). It really isn't anything to be scared of, and takes very little time vs the cost of sending them away to be serviced! I spend £12 on oil from CRC (didn't need new o rings, or seals as mine were fine, there are cheap kits on ebay though) yanked the whole forks apart, cleaned it all properly and the fork feels superb again. I now have enough oil for several services :)
  • Have you set up the fork via sag as 110psi seems alot for your weight. I also have reba forks rlt 2012 and am the same weight as you and with 100psi in positive 100 neg i cant get full travel , when i set up 90 psi is fine pos and neg and I get full travel and the right sag . The guide on the fork leg is well out so I would set up sag first.

Another thing I wouldnt do although this is probably personal preference don't run more air in the negative spring as it makes the fork dive through its travel. And when you ride over fast bumps the forks just bogs down and cant keep up regardless of how fast you have the rebound set.

Also I would recommend doing regular maintenance as once the foam rings go dry wear can occur on the stantions . Maintenance is fairly straight forward if you take your time and follow the manual on the sram technical website. :D
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Thanks everyone :) I have them set to 100psi (with the correct sag) but ive been doing some quite large jumps and bottoming them out so added a little more to try and stop it doing that. I have not riden the bike on 110 yet althought to be honest it feels a little too firm i must say i really can see it going down again and having to brake a little more over the jumps. Also what fork lube do people use as theres specific stuff for it im lead to belive or is dry lube ok?
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build