Northern Ireland finally catches up

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited February 2013 in MTB general
After a few false starts (blessingbourne & castle ward) N.I. is finally about to get some world class trail centre single track.

I took a nose round the soon to be finished rostrevor trails yesterday and have to say that Dafydd Davies is the man, they are looking seriously epic. Although the initial 500m climb is a lung buster!

If you have a Facebook login his page has loads of pics

https://en-gb.facebook.com/TrailsByDafy ... 0&filter=3
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Hope you weren't riding on them!! I've been enjoying the new trails at Mary Peters though as they're local to me, they could be a heck of a lot better - a lot of the corners are very hairy at speed.

Will definitely be getting down to rostrevor and castlewellan when they're opened. And i'd still like to give castle ward and blessingbourne a go - haven't had a chance yet. It really is starting to kick off over here now :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some might say turning it to trail centre is a back step ;-)
  • Greer_
    They're leaving a fair bit of the natural stuff I believe (xc wise), but the downhillers are raging about some of their tracks being destroyed which is understandable.
  • yeh it looks good, hopfully ill get up there sometime this summer.

Looking forward to the new trails in Davagh forest aswell (which is alot closer)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    supersonic wrote:
    Some might say turning it to trail centre is a back step ;-)

Natural runs are still there, although the course has crossed them in places. I stopped to look at the DH stuff that is only W.I.P though and they look pretty good.

There is still plenty of technical natural trails in N.I if you know where to look, but trail centres have their place, and certainly ones that are well designed and can be rode all year round!!

No, I didn't ride any of it, but that said loads of people are already on them. It's a bit of a disaster waiting to happen as from what I can see the one way system isn't in yet!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Greer_ wrote:
    They're leaving a fair bit of the natural stuff I believe (xc wise), but the downhillers are raging about some of their tracks being destroyed which is understandable.

Certainly is understandable. They put loads of hours in to building and maintaining trails for them to get ripped up for XC trails in an area which is already great for natural XC.
    Trail centres are always a step backwards if there is already good natural riding, makes it feel a bit too safe and comfortable.
  • Greer_
    The only reason id say its handy for me, is I wouldn't go down to rostrevor on my own before as I wouldn't know where I was going. If its a trail centre, there's routes to follow etc, and you don't have to spend hours figuring out how to link up trails. Shame they wrecked some of the natural stuff though, as quite often its more fun!
  • I was down at Rostrevor yesterday & last weekend. Epic.
    Its not totally finished...... and I didn't see anyone going the 'wrong way'
    You should get down and have a go! There are loads of people riding it.
    It is better than the trails at Mary Peters - a lot better!
    Cant wait for it all to be finished!