Ride 100 Training Plan

So I just put the "beginner" training plan into my Google Calendar.

... does anyone else feel sick? haha. Just joking. Im so up for this! Bring on the summer of training fun!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/ride100chriswheeler
PLEASE DONATE ^^^

2lnw8zk.jpg

Comments

• starting training myself for the Manchester 100 this weekend. gonna be interesting.
    Specialized Allez 2013 Compact

Often found on the roads of the North West.....
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    That 'training plan' looks completely implausible.

If you are a beginner I'd strongly recommend you aim at taking part in lower key earlier events in June and July. That way you can enjoy the London event for what it offers, which is closed flat roads and London, rather than as a physical challenge, which it isn't.

Paul
  • paul2718 wrote:
    In what way?
    you can enjoy the London event for what it offers, which is closed flat roads and London, rather than as a physical challenge, which it isn't.
    It's a challenge for me, I can assure you. And Leith Hill and Box Hill are not flat. They're not the Alps, and they're not the Pyrrenees, but they aren't flat.

This sort of flippant assertion, especially aimed at a beginner, is just unhelpful, since it will foster the idea that as a non-challenge, no particular preparation is required. And at around the 50-60 mile mark, I know I'm not yet in good enough shape for the whole 100 at my target 14-15mph, so I have quite a bit more work to do.

If the RL100 route isn't a challenge for you, then great. Well done for being strong and fit. Not all of us are there yet, and being told that it's not a challenge for us just sounds a bit more like being told how good you are, than anything helpful about getting ready for a big sportive as a mere mortal.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • paul2718 wrote:
    In what way?
    you can enjoy the London event for what it offers, which is closed flat roads and London, rather than as a physical challenge, which it isn't.
    It's a challenge for me, I can assure you. And Leith Hill and Box Hill are not flat. They're not the Alps, and they're not the Pyrrenees, but they aren't flat.

This sort of flippant assertion, especially aimed at a beginner, is just unhelpful, since it will foster the idea that as a non-challenge, no particular preparation is required. And at around the 50-60 mile mark, I know I'm not yet in good enough shape for the whole 100 at my target 14-15mph, so I have quite a bit more work to do.

If the RL100 route isn't a challenge for you, then great. Well done for being strong and fit. Not all of us are there yet, and being told that it's not a challenge for us just sounds a bit more like being told how good you are, than anything helpful about getting ready for a big sportive as a mere mortal.

I am with Chris on this, although i have rideen MTB for several years I have only been riding a road bike for 6 months and really enjoying it. A 100 mile ride is a big thing for me and i am trying to put some structure to my training, not quite to the extent of Chris :lol: I will be pleased if i can get round averaging 14 - 15 mph. A pleasant Sunday ride to the pub it isnt.
  • I have a big case of sour grapes for not getting in to the event, but I'm goign to fight through it and offer some advice, take it or leave it!

Your plan, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to show that the longest ride you'll do is 70 miles before taking on the 100 miles for RL100. From experience of building up to 100 mile sportives in the past (last year I completed 21 sportives for charity so the years before that were spent building up my fitness towards it) there is a big step between a 70 mile and a 100 mile ride, those last 30 can be a challenge if you've not conditioned yourself to be on the bike for that long. I'd suggest choosing a couple of 100 mile (or even 80-90 mile) sportives to take part in the build up to RL100, this will get you used to the effort required to stay on your bike for 100 miles (I'm guessing you haven't ridden 100 miles before, again correct me if I'm wrong).

The other point is that your plan is based on time such as the 60 minute 'spins'. For a training session of around an hour, time is pretty irrelevant, it comes down to intensity. 60 minutes at below threshold will do little to build your engine, you should make sure these sessions are structured with intervals that take you above threshold and allow your to recover between these efforts. Even getting a few training aids (like sufferfest video downloads) or using these evening spins as hill intervals you do you more good - they will not only help you over the 'climbs' (although from experience Box Hill is nothing to worry about and Leith Hill, although tougher, really should be manageable for most), but the intensity work will help build your engine to cope with the distance. Of course, if you've already factored this in, then ignore me!!

One last thing, if you're not experienced at group riding, join your local club and go on club runs to get experience riding in a group (doing other sportives in the build up to RL100 will help this too). 20k riders, closed roads or not, will be pretty hairy if you're not used to it.

Good luck
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • paul2718
    In what way?
    It doesn't start until May. It has a lot of activities but they are all vague. It ramps up to 60 miles very quickly and then levels off with a single 70 mile effort. There is an assumption that you don't have to do actual work during the period... There's a big difference between a 3.5 hour 60 mile ride and a 6 hour 100 mile ride, especially if you want to enjoy the ride rather then just the finish. Maybe it will work for the OP.
    This sort of flippant assertion, especially aimed at a beginner, is just unhelpful, since it will foster the idea that as a non-challenge, no particular preparation is required.
    You clearly didn't read the rest of my post.

There are 100s of 100mile organised rides available, some well organised events for a very good cause at http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/cycling for example. Almost all of these 100 mile rides will be 'harder' than the London 100. Just adding the open roads makes a big difference if you have to slow down for junctions etc.

Anyway I reiterate my recommendation of targeting some long events in May/June/July.

Paul
  • paul2718 wrote:
    This sort of flippant assertion, especially aimed at a beginner, is just unhelpful, since it will foster the idea that as a non-challenge, no particular preparation is required.
    You clearly didn't read the rest of my post.
    I did read it. I don't at all disagree with targeting some earlier events, but that's not the part of the post I was taking issue with. You'll notice I specifically marked in bold the bit I was taking issue with, namely the assertion that the RL100 is not a physical challenge.

Just to be clear, that and only that, is what I'm referring to as a flippant unhelpful assertion.

If what you meant was along the lines of "if you do some harder events in the meantime, the RL100 won't be a physical challenge by the time you do it", then I would tend to agree.

But if that's what you meant, it's not obvious to me. :)
  • I think I agree with Paul2718, doing 0ne or two events would only be of benefit in terms of developing fitness but also it s abetter way to judge what eating and feeding regime suits you when riding in big groups, beavuse as invariably happens you tend to ride parts of the route at some one elses pace.

Following the plan yu've got though should well see you through - i'd factor in a few more rest days - not juts one day here and there but a few consecutive days - , as was mentioned try and do a few riders with a good couple of rides in the saddle - nothing like it for ekeing out strains and pains.

What happens on long rides normally is that yu get mini breaks at traffic lights and such like, a quick chance for a snack - being open road, I guess thats denied you, so do check out when you need to feed and drink. But the main thing is to enjoy it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Hey everyone!

I haven't said anything since I originally posted. For info, that plan is the one taken straight off the Ride100 website so all I did was put it in my calendar and take a screenshot.

I'm totally open to changing it and the info that KentPuncheur provided was very helpful!

I ride mostly MTB and I'm fairly fit. I've got a few road sportives under my belt but I still see the 100 miles as quite a challenge!... I don't dope myself up like all the pro's [did] you see ... And before anyone has a go at me, I'm just joking to lighten the mood :]
  • Hey everyone!

I haven't said anything since I originally posted. For info, that plan is the one taken straight off the Ride100 website so all I did was put it in my calendar and take a screenshot.

I'm totally open to changing it and the info that KentPuncheur provided was very helpful!

I ride mostly MTB and I'm fairly fit. I've got a few road sportives under my belt but I still see the 100 miles as quite a challenge!... I don't dope myself up like all the pro's [did] you see ... And before anyone has a go at me, I'm just joking to lighten the mood :]

I'd definitely consider looking up some interval sessions to do for the 60 minute spin sessions, they'll be your best bet. 3x1 hour during the week and fit in some progressively longer hilly rides at the weekend (maybe a 1hr30 min interval session on a saturday with a progressively longer sunday ride?) and you'll be fine. Definitely consider doing at least one, preferably two 100 milers before the RL100 and you'll be golden.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree with much of the above. There is absolutely no logical reason to back off on the long rides that far out from the event - if you can do the 70 miles 6 weeks out from the event then you've got time to do more 70 mile rides or maybe even an 80 or 90.

Group riding experience is very important - there are loads of cycling clubs and informal rides all over the place - chances are there will be one with rides to suit you.

Agree that 60 minute ride is pretty meaningless - it could be an easy spin in which case do you need that recovery ride - because if not then it would be more productive done at a harder pace - either structured threshold work or just ride hard if you prefer.

The shorter rides of 30 and 45 minutes - well really is it worth getting your kit on for that ? I sometimes do 30 minute sessions with my kids on rollers but they are 11 years old. Now if you were an absolute unfit novice I could see the point in doing 30 minutes - for some people that's an achievement - but then those people aren't likely to be riding 60 miles a couple of weeks later as this plan requires. I'd scrap the shorter stuff (by which I mean make it longer - not do nothing) unless it's as a recovery ride the day after a particularly hard session.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • paul2718
    If what you meant was along the lines of "if you do some harder events in the meantime, the RL100 won't be a physical challenge by the time you do it", then I would tend to agree.
    If you were to make a list of UK 100 mile or more sportives ordered by increasing 'hardness' then RL100 would be near the start. In the context of cycling events it is not a physical challenge.

However it's extremely attractive because of the closed roads, many of which are wide and smooth, and the route out of and back into London, especially the start and finish venues. I'm really looking forward to it.

We're well OT but I think the event is a bit confused. It seems a waste of opportunity to target it primarily at 'beginners' as their first and last big ride when it could be used to underpin the huge take up of cycling over the last few years. And the charity overload is a bit distasteful.

Paul
  • paul2718 wrote:
    In the context of cycling events it is not a physical challenge.

I'm not at all disputing your judgement that relative to lots of other big rides, RL100 is relatively easy, but there must be plenty of beginners like me for whom the ones that you'd think of as a challenge are simply unattainable.

So RL100 very much is a physical challenge to those for whom it's at the upper end of the ability range, at least for now if not forever. So to be told that it's not just seems like a pointless put down.
    However it's extremely attractive because of the closed roads, many of which are wide and smooth, and the route out of and back into London, especially the start and finish venues. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Yes, I very much agree with this.
    It seems a waste of opportunity to target it primarily at 'beginners' as their first and last big ride when it could be used to underpin the huge take up of cycling over the last few years.
    I don't get this at all - on the one hand you say that it's not a challenge, and on the other you say that it's wrong to target it at beginners. If there's one group to target it at, to underpin the take up of cycling, surely the beginners are exactly the group to target? It was the Olympics last year that caught my interest - why disenfranchise me and many like me? After all, if it was 9 times round the Box Hill loop before coming back into London, which presumably would make it a challenge, I certainly wouldn't be taking it on.

What opportunity is it missing, to allow the rubbish cyclists like me the chance of what will be a hard ride? It won't detract from your experience, since doubtless you'll be starting with the fast riders at 6 and be done by 11.
    And the charity overload is a bit distasteful.
    That's just a matter of opinion. I don't see it as a problem.
  • paul2718
    So to be told that it's not just seems like a pointless put down.
    Well, it's not intended as such.
    I don't get this at all - on the one hand you say that it's not a challenge, and on the other you say that it's wrong to target it at beginners.
    If you have ridden a bike for 100 miles then to ride this course inside the time limit is unlikely to be a challenge. I think it is a shame that this event is excluding a lot of keen cyclists who would relish the unique aspects of it in favour of raw beginners and charity fundraisers for whom completing the course is the objective. Not 'wrong' just 'a shame'.

FWIW you are a whole 2 years behind me and probably rather younger. I started in late summer 2010, impulsively committed to the Dragon Ride for 2011 and managed to get fit enough in time. It helped to connect with a local group to ride with, not a formal club as such, just a loose group.

Probably we ought to get back to training plans.

Paul
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    paul2718 wrote:
    In the context of cycling events it is not a physical challenge.

I'm not at all disputing your judgement that relative to lots of other big rides, RL100 is relatively easy, but there must be plenty of beginners like me for whom the ones that you'd think of as a challenge are simply unattainable.

So RL100 very much is a physical challenge to those for whom it's at the upper end of the ability range, at least for now if not forever. So to be told that it's not just seems like a pointless put down.
    Yes, I very much agree with this.
    It seems a waste of opportunity to target it primarily at 'beginners' as their first and last big ride when it could be used to underpin the huge take up of cycling over the last few years.
    I don't get this at all - on the one hand you say that it's not a challenge, and on the other you say that it's wrong to target it at beginners. If there's one group to target it at, to underpin the take up of cycling, surely the beginners are exactly the group to target? It was the Olympics last year that caught my interest - why disenfranchise me and many like me? After all, if it was 9 times round the Box Hill loop before coming back into London, which presumably would make it a challenge, I certainly wouldn't be taking it on.

What opportunity is it missing, to allow the rubbish cyclists like me the chance of what will be a hard ride? It won't detract from your experience, since doubtless you'll be starting with the fast riders at 6 and be done by 11.
    And the charity overload is a bit distasteful.
    That's just a matter of opinion. I don't see it as a problem.

Chris,

From some one who is targeting a sub five hour time, I and delighted that you are taking part and I certainly feel that you have every right to be in the event especially as this an Olympic Legacy event. You are exactly where I was ten years ago and if I had a choice I would rather be standing in your shoes again!
  • Stedman wrote:
    Chris,

From some one who is targeting a sub five hour time, I and delighted that you are taking part and I certainly feel that you have every right to be in the event especially as this an Olympic Legacy event. You are exactly where I was ten years ago and if I had a choice I would rather be standing in your shoes again!

Cheers :)

If truth be known, I can see Paul's point of view as well.

For if, come the event (having trained my arse off in the meantime so as to be able to get to the top of Leith Hill on two wheels with my self-respect intact) I find myself at the bottom of it behind a bloke in a deep-sea diver's outfit and three hundred fatties pushing their bikes up, I shall be mighty p!ssed off...

... although not entirely blind to the irony. :)
  • B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    When I did my first 100, I got an 80 mile solo ride in about 3 weeks before. It was a tremendous boost to my confidence because on the day of the race, you will gain a lot from drafting others (either deliberatly or impromptly) which you wouldn't have benefitted from in training if you train alone. Plus as others have said you get to trial your race nutrition plan for any issues.

Just remember to not draft too close if you don't know the person (collisions can be painful, costly, and at best embarrassing), and remember to take a turn at the front.

Also don't discount the power of spectators, and given the route there may be a few around cheering you on, it all helps psychologically.

I don't mind if people turn up dressed as Dumbo, on full sus mountain bikes, or wearing jeans and shoes with a shopping basket on the front of their fixie - they can ride how they like, as long as they don't obstruct me or anyone else, which could be an issue with 20,000 of us on the road, even with staggered start times. Guess we'll see on the day. Hopefully they'll have the sense perhaps to have a "walking lane" set out for the "big" hills to avoid everyone having to get off because a few can't make it up and don't think to walk to one side (it does happen).

You've got 9 hours to get round (if you start early enough), that's an average pace of 12mph with 30 minutes for stops, or roughly 13mph with an hour for stops. Just pace yourself and like I said, get a good miler under your belt a short while before and you'll feel a lot more confident.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Agree with a lot of the comments on the training plan, it looks odd in places. My advice would be to get a turbo and follow the time crunched cyclist plan, there is a novice century training plan that uses interval training. It's quite effective and will push you at a higher intensity than the ride 100 one. Follow that and aim to get at least one long ride in at the weekend, gradually building the distance up on that.

The ride 100 course is 100 miles, which is its own challenge, but isn't hilly course. Starting training now will have you in good shape to enjoy the day and get a resonable time.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A few people are saying the Ride 100 course isn't hilly, which I agree with EXCEPT that the two hills (Leith Hill and Box Hill) are at the 60-70 mile mark. This means at the steepest hill you'll have 60+ miles in your legs, which for those not so fit will be a challenge. When doing a long ride as part of a training plan, I would factor in a hill or two towards the end so you know you'll be up to it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I've found these posts very interesting. :)

Im a cycling novice, owned my road bike for a few months , sort of in shape from uni sports. Done a 50 mile Evans sportive recently in awful weather. I've been using a turbo trainer with sufferfest (downward spiral) and other intervals e.g. 3 mins 'on'/3 mins recover x5 on weeknights then hopefully a ride at the weekend. I accept I am new to this, so appreciate the above posts. :) I was suprised at the amount of hour long, low intensity rides/ spins on the RideLondon training plan.

Its motivational for me to see the above poster targetting under 5 hours. Wow! I went on a solo 40 mile loop yesterday (incl Box Hill and Leith Hill) and averaged 15.5mph. I'd love to think this could go up by August with fitness, and over the Ride100 distance (less hills per distance? :P), so hoping under 6.5 hours, but very secretly aiming for nearer 6 (16.5mph, although thats not with breaks, hmm)

Anyway, whether to finish or to get a specific time, I guess we all have our goals, thats why cycling is great.
  • malc101
    malc101 Posts: 115
    Hi All. I failed in getting my place but I did accidentally select the donate and get a jersey option.

So I have a jersey i do not want as I am not on the ride. The jersey is black with blue/white logo details. It is a Medium in size, which is 39-41" Chest. If anybody is interested I can upload some photos etc.

Cheers

Mal
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)
  • Challenge or not is largely down to perception and preparation!!!

As someone who has in the past completed many 200k and more Audax's, but been off the bike for a few years (at least long distance) I consider it a challenge for the following reasons:

- base fitness or miles in the legs, this takes time for those new to all this including me
    - all aspects as already mentioned of staying in the saddle for 8 hours or more, including nutrition which comes with experience, not with book or websites read
    - time limit of possibly significantly less than 9 hours, remember there is a pro race following behind and the road has to be cleared, there will be no room for straddlers
    - start logistics, remember there are 25,000 cyclists starting within 2 hours, have you thought how many cyclists that is per second, there is the potential for one huge traffic jam!!! - if you are at the back and are on the slower side, you will have a huge challenge.

So back to my first point, preparation is key, and for those following the RL100 'beginners' schedule note the small print that part 2 will be published nearer the time, so don't wait until mid May. I suspect that part 2 will have some longer rides and the guidelines do mention group riding and a few practice Sportives.

Best of luck
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    I too am doing the ride100 albeit for charity. Starting from a poor base level fitness ill be doing two or three interval sessions a week from late April , with a weekend ride increasing in distance to about 80-90 miles. Aiming for sub 7 hours. At the moment riding every other day to get some base fitness and legs back. Did a 43 mile ride yesterday including the first time up boxhill.

It will be a challenge not only the 100miles and three hills but raising the promised £600.
    Insert witty signature here