What is freehub lag?

mikeyh54
mikeyh54 Posts: 18
edited February 2013 in Road general
Hello,

This may seem like a silly question to lots of you, but I really have no idea what this means.

Have been thinking of upgrading stock wheels on a new bike to the Shimano Ultegra 6700 as they are going cheap in a sale and after having read a review in Cycling Plus magazine. But they mention that freehub lag is an issue.

What is this and how will it affect my day to day riding?

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the distance the cassette turns before the hub engages.
    you will not notice it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    i.e how effectively the pawls engage.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    IT's the new method that magazines use to push their favourite products. Companies that contribute lots in advertising revenue will have faster engagement, those that don't advertise will be criticised for slow engagement.

Or something.

Read also stiff cranks, compliant yet stiff frames etc etc.
  • The delay in engagement is a NON Issue... magazines pick up on it as they have to say something, but being lobotomized, they have often nothing sensible to say

Worry not about that
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yes ugo is correct.

The only time you will notice is when it fails to engage...then its relevant (broken) :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    edited February 2013
    There's probably a Velominati rule - "if you notice freehub lag, you're not putting enough effort in"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's only an issue if you stop pedalling!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    MTB riders thinks it's important (mainly because they freewheel everywhere ;-) ; certain hub manufacturers think it creates some sort of product differentiation and magazine guys like to write about it as it creates some objective evidence they can talk about without moving from their desks.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The correct answer is:

Nothing for you to worry about.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dodgy wrote:
    IT's the new method that magazines use to push their favourite products. Companies that contribute lots in advertising revenue will have faster engagement, those that don't advertise will be criticised for slow engagement.

Or something.

Read also stiff cranks, compliant yet stiff frames etc etc.

Word.