Silly Commuter Crit bikes [now build]

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    fair enough, i would still urge you to get rid of the carbon seat post and get the matching one.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    How much was the frame?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nearly there, just need a saddle and to tape it up. With my heavier Hope/OpenPro wheels it is approx 8.4kg

Didn't bother with barrel adjusters, no room.

image_zpsc502b035.jpg

And for a hack race bike, couldn't help but tart it... :oops:

image_zpsdfbdf30e.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    lovely.

however i wouldnt race on those brakes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
  • spasypaddy
    notsoblue wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
    multiple reasons:
    1. they never stay centred
    2. they dont have the modulation of a pair of shimano brakes
    3. they dont have the power of a pair of shimano brakes
    4. the quick release isnt as quick to open if you need to swap a wheel out

im sure there were other reasons but i cant remember them right now
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    spasypaddy wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
    multiple reasons:

You're braking too much!

Only ever punctured once in a race, quick release speed was least of my worries...
  • spasypaddy
    BigMat wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
    multiple reasons:

You're braking too much!

Only ever punctured once in a race, quick release speed was least of my worries...
    just throwing it out there. thats all.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    spasypaddy wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
    multiple reasons:

1. You haven't set them up properly.
    2. Negligible difference
    3. I have both with swisstops and again there is not much difference imo.
    4. True, but if you don't run your pads super close to the rim its not a problem.

Nice bike. Looks like it will be perfect. When is your first race?
  • spasypaddy
    2. Negligible difference
    4. True, but if you don't run your pads super close to the rim its not a problem.

1. i didnt set them up, a brilliant (no sarcasm) mechanic did.
    2. personal experience, went from those to ultegra and back again to see the difference. i felt it was massive
    3. see 2.
    4. i like running my pads close for sharpness...
  • notsoblue
    spasypaddy wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Why not?
    multiple reasons:

I used these brakes for about 3 years on my PX (I have SRAM Force ones now) and I'd agree with all the above apart from 3. The difference isn't *that* big. They're probably fine for a first season of racing...
  • iPete
    @pitchshifter, payday friday so can get my BC membership sorted, join a local club and start looking, Blonde and a few others have recommended cyclo park. Need to get some geared riding under my belt, looking forward to testing out 53x11!

oh and started a blog on the whole thing... http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/
  • bigmat
    spasypaddy wrote:
    2. Negligible difference

1. i didnt set them up, a brilliant (no sarcasm) mechanic did.
    2. personal experience, went from those to ultegra and back again to see the difference. i felt it was massive
    3. see 2.
    4. i like running my pads close for sharpness...

1. I agree single pivot brakes are a pain to set up, get knocked out of line at the slightest thing (e.g. removing a wheel) and then require tools to set up again. My experience is with Campag but I imagine these are much the same.
    2.3. Heard similar, anecdotally.
    4. Me too.
  • bigmat
    iPete wrote:
    @pitchshifter, payday friday so can get my BC membership sorted, join a local club and start looking, Blonde and a few others have recommended cyclo park. Need to get some geared riding under my belt, looking forward to testing out 53x11!

oh and started a blog on the whole thing... http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/

Cyclopark on Saturday then?! I might be there, 50/50 at the moment.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    I might be there, 50/50 at the moment.
    You'll never win with that gearing :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    :lol:

A bit apprehensive but why not! Need to get a few miles on the new bike, make sure it's safe and need to apply for BC silver/race membership and I'm good to go. Can I race without the paper work and ID coming through?
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    How do folk get to Gravesend from SW London without the use of a car? Riding to London Bridge and getting the train over seems like the best option from my (limited) research, or Clapham Junction -> Waterloo -> Waterloo East -> London Bridge -> Gravesend, alternatively. Seems like rather a long way both in distance and time...
  • notsoblue
    iPete wrote:

A bit apprehensive but why not! Need to get a few miles on the new bike, make sure it's safe and need to apply for BC silver/race membership and I'm good to go. Can I race without the paper work and ID coming through?
    Some places will issue a day license, but its kinda at their discretion. Best to check with the commissar before you go.
  • bigmat
    dhope wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    I might be there, 50/50 at the moment.
    You'll never win with that gearing :roll:

You haven't seen how fast I can spin!
  • bigmat
    tetm wrote:
    How do folk get to Gravesend from SW London without the use of a car? Riding to London Bridge and getting the train over seems like the best option from my (limited) research, or Clapham Junction -> Waterloo -> Waterloo East -> London Bridge -> Gravesend, alternatively. Seems like rather a long way both in distance and time...

There's a train from Victoria to Meopham. First stop is Bromley South where I usually get on, then its around 25 minutes from there to Meopham, which is a mainly downhill couple of miles ride to Cyclopark.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    tetm wrote:

A2 then A207 up Shooters Hill to Dartford then A226 out of Dartford. From NW London it was 32 miles each way. Add a race into the middle of that and it becomes quite a long day :lol: I'll be getting the train next time...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    iPete wrote:

Don't worry about the brakes, you don't need good brakes to race, which is how people cope with carbon braking in the wet! I only had a front brake for the entirety of my road race last week as the back was hitting the rim, when you learn to ride in a bunch properly you don't need to use the brakes all that much outside of slowing for corners which any brakes will do!

With regards to the above, Hillingdon would let you race on the confirmation page print off from BC having bought the silver membership and race license etc, but do not think its a universal thing. Good luck, assuming you can live with the changes of pace you should be out of 4th cat pretty quickly.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Awesome stuff - good luck, you should have no problem getting out of Cat 4! At the beginning of the year the cyclopark guys were accepting proof of BC membership if you showed your BC dashboard on your smart phone confirming race license and category. Not sure whether that was a one-off as a lot of renewals hadn't come through the post yet. Also, this weekend's women's race is part of London Women's Cycle Racing League so there may be more people there than normal and you may need to leave a bit more time to sign on.
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • iPete
    Ta! How was cyclopark last week? I saw someone else on strava just named the race 'rank'!

More than likely I'll go out weekend after next, have a few days off to get used to turning gears again, been fixed for over 6 months now!

Maybe go on a faster KW club run Sunday.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There might be a 3/4 cat training ride happening. Keep an eye on the forum
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Still a few too many spacers on there for a crit bike, get it slammed!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • iPete
    Indeed just been tuning, down to 1 spacer but the headset cone is pretty damn big!

Riding a freewheel feels soo wrong and ive become accustomed to track geo but looking forward to having a big gear tomorrow.
  • iPete
    Freewheels are the work of the devil!! Didn't get to go full tilt this morning but 51x11 is nice to have at hand and the bike seems plenty stiff and comfy, a real upgrade on my old Allez but not as responsive as the track bike.

And whats with modulating speed with your hands and brakes?! thought I was going to forget and plough into the back of something this morning!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think I saw you iPete the other day. I was drafting you from Putney to RP the other day...Love the look of that frame. Just as good in the flesh