Pinion Gearbox

hubgearfan
hubgearfan Posts: 36
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Just seen the Schindlehauer news on Facebook showing that they are now making a bike with something called a gearbox gear made by someone called Pinion. It looks like an internal gear mounted on the crank. Hadn't heard of these before - looks like a new thing and at 4 grand (for just the gearbox) :shock: they make the Rohloff hub gear look cheap...anybody own one or know anything about them?

http://pinion.eu/en/

Comments

• yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    Also a hub gear fan! Where did you get your figure of 4k!!!

There has been talk about this gearbox for quite some time with shots etc of prototypes over the years. It's great that they have been able to see it through and now have a product that you can buy (at a price!!).

According to the pinion website you can't buy the gearbox alone (as it's impossible to retrofit (so which individual would buy one!)), though I think manufacturers are starting to build bikes with them. Have a look at the Tout Terrain website, here is an example (there are others): http://www.en.tout-terrain.de/bicycles/silkroad-xplore/
    A dream tourer if I ever saw one.

Comparing prices using their configurator, the Silkroad GT Rohloff Gold comes in at just shy of 3k GBP while the Pinion version (Silkroad Xplore), Gold version, is just under 3.7k. So not such a huge increase over the Rohloff for this new tech. Though still unbelievably expensive.

If I were to win the lottery I would have one in a snap, otherwise there are quite a few bikes on my dream list before I would get to this.

Hopefully prices will come down and more manufactures take it up. It's great there are people out there that are pushing the envelope. Would love to see even more innovation with hub gears too.
  • yocto wrote:
    It's great there are people out there that are pushing the envelope. Would love to see even more innovation with hub gears too.

I have to say, it's reckoned that the golden age of cycling was before WW1, but I do think that we're entering a new, if not better one - there just seems to be all sorts of new and great bikes and accessories coming out all the time - and it's at the quality end of the market. Personally, I don't think there's been a better time to be a cyclist.

I probably misread the £4k figure; like you, I have a wish list, but order of purchase seems to change all the time!

PS - out of interest, is St Reatham, Streatham?
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    hubgearfan wrote:

Yup :oops:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hubgearfan wrote:
    Heavens no, St Reatham is just around the corner from Cla'am and Tooters
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    dhope wrote:
    hubgearfan wrote:
    Heavens no, St Reatham is just around the corner from Cla'am and Tooters

And not too far from Nouveau Croix...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.