Moor2sea in sep

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
Hi who's doing this, Any experiences from last year? How much if a killer is it!

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew with this one

Comments

• jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Have you signed up to "sensible" 67 mile or the simply mad 112 ? :lol:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Did the short route last year and have signed up for the short route again this year.
    I only started riding March last year, so my experience of sportives is limited to 4, but this was by far the one I enjoyed the most. With more than 7000ft of climbing over 67miles to do, it was way above my ability, so I just took it easy (did it in 5 hours 10 minutes including stops). There was only one hill that I had to stop on, which was the climb out of Teignmouth. After catching my breath and having something to eat, I was fine, so was chuffed to bits that I didn't have to walk once!
    Some of the roads had been recently resurfaced, so there was a lot of loose gravel on some of the descents, and the signage colour wasn't that great, so a few people without Garmins got lost.
    People moaned about the traffic in Teignmouth last year as well, so I think the route will change to miss it out this year.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc
    Boardman Race Road
    Boardman Team CX
    Specialized MTB
  • This is a great event. It's tough - tougher than the Dartmoor Classic. It's hard to keep a high average speed because much of the route is on very narrow devon lanes (didn't enjoy these much).

Try to save your legs for a strong finish - a lap of Exeter Race Course. Try to enjoy it because it's about the only flat section on the entire route.

http://app.strava.com/activities/21233770
  • boogi11
    I have stupidly opted for the 112. To be fair I am training relatively hard...please don't laugh.......good 60 miles at weekend and three 14 mile thrashes on the rollers in the winter , already lost some weight aiming or 13.5st getting stronger but no hills to practise on. Do people change their rear cassette or just go with the norm
  • When I did it last year, I was a bit heavier than you at 14.5 stone, and with a compact and a 12-26 cassette which is what I use all the time.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc
    Boardman Race Road
    Boardman Team CX
    Specialized MTB
  • _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    Yeh i'm doing the 112, seemed like a good idea at the time!!
  • boogi11
    _andy wrote:
    Yeh i'm doing the 112, seemed like a good idea at the time!!

I had one of those moments "yeahhhh 112 miles will be fine".

Time will tell, as long as the air ambulance can find me I should be ok
  • Just put in my entry. One previous sportive under my belt - Exmoor Beast. I'll be leaving the road bike at home and bringing the CX on slicks. Destroyed myself last year on dunkery beacon with a 39-25 lowest. compact with a 11-32 cassette should be laughing now, especially with discs to keep control in typical wet september conditions.