Hub service help

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
There's a fair bit of play in my rear hub so I figured I'd give them both a service.
I haven't ever worked on sealed cartridges before and can't work out how to replace the bearings...
Where do I get the replacements from and can someone point me in the direction of a decent guide/video to get them out?

I don't even know how to get to the bearing on the front...

Can see the bearing but where to go from there is a mystery to me!

Also, this could be a stupid question, but I have 5mm QR on the rear. Is there any way I can upgrade this to a 12/20mm thruaxle if I was to change the hub?
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• remove axles and end caps and drift out bearings using a soft nose drift from the oppositie side, once the bearings are out then any bearing factor will be able to match or measure and google (bearingboys.co.uk are good) you will nedd the fiollowing info Outd=side dia, Inner Dis (Hole) and thickness all in mm. Additionaly most wheel bearings are 2RS e.g double rubber sealed. Replace bearings using a suitable drift (old socket or old bearing even, be careful not to damnage the new bearing.

To change to 142x12 you wil need different hub/ axle adaptor and porbably frame hardware.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    JohnBurt wrote:
    remove axles and end caps

how do I remove the end caps and axles?!

thanks for the help though. has got me started
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to knock the rear axles out usually. it will take one bearing with it.

Often the front caps just pull off, or are held in by a snap ring.