Group riding & etiquette for a newbie

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
In the next few weeks in preparation for some 80+ mile sportives I have coming up, I'm going to join one of my local clubs. I'm a member on their facebook page and they seem a friendly bunch so I'll see how I get on.

I've enjoyed riding on my own so far but I'm keen to get out with like minded people and also to master riding in a group as it's something I havent done so far and will obviously need for the Sportive season.

I'm currently averaging around 13mph to 15mph on what i'd class as hilly rides (anything over 30 miles is always over 2000ft of climbing. Hilly??) so I feel I will be able to keep up but I'd like to make a good impression. I'm sure they will forgive me breaking a few etiquette laws on my first few rides however I'm keen to make sure I keep them to a minimum hence why I am here.

I'd appreciate a heads up on the basics.

Thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Each group has its 'handsignals' and 'shouts' but they are essentially all variations of a theme.

Warning of cars from front or rear, gravel, holes etc. as when you are in a group you can not always see these things early enough.

There are also various points and waves to tell you if you need to move right or slow down etc.

As far as the riding they generally ride two abreast (when conditions allow) and you need to be close to the wheel in front (about a foot). This obviously means no sudden slowing, otherwise you will either be collected by the guys behind or cause them to swerve (neither is good). So its about anticipation and awareness.

Also be aware that if you get out of the saddle it tends to mean your speed will drop initailly so time that to suit.

Just go and enjoy it and listen to what the group say.

Essentially just announce your 'newness' when you get there and ask what they need you to do/know.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Smidsy, much obliged thats exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I also read a lot about mudguards, my bike hasn't got any, will that be an issue if its raining? Also, doing my turn on the front, leave that for later or get stuck in? More than happy to do my stint, it is after all what i'm used to.
  • smidsy
    Most clubs do frown on people without mudguards in bad weather (you will too when someone covers you in shite).

If you explain I am sure they will be happy for you to stay in the pack rather than killing yourself on the front.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What smidsy says, he is boss on here
  • smidsy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    What smidsy says, he is boss on here

Ahh, thanks mate...now if only you meant it :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Most clubs do frown on people without mudguards in bad weather (you will too when someone covers you in shite).

If you explain I am sure they will be happy for you to stay in the pack rather than killing yourself on the front.

Bang on advice.

If your new to the club just let them know & they should look after you pretty well. When I joined my local club I found a few members who took me under their wing and looked out for me.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ..everything you need to know...;-)

Safety and Risk Management

All riders take part in the group runs at their own risk. Those risks can never be totally eliminated but can be minimised by following these rules to the letter – no exceptions.

Ride officers have been appointed and are there to enforce these rules and dish out the appropriate punishment. We aren’t at liberty to say who they are but they are watching you. If they believe that a rider’s conduct is unacceptable they have the authority to exclude the offender from the group run and will subsequently report the circumstances to the committee who will take further action; usually a good rummaging and a long fumble from one of the senior officers.

Warning Calls when Riding in a Group. These calls and signals are universal to ALL experienced cyclists in all countries; please use them at appropriate times

“Oil Up” (or “Car up“) or “car” or “oops” or “f*cking hell that was close”

There is a vehicle coming up behind the group

“Oil Down” (or “car ahead“) or “Car” or “oi oi” or “any unintelligible grunt”

There is a vehicle approaching towards the front of the group

“spanflange”

Self explanatory

“Clear” and “Oil on .Left/Right” and “clear ‘ish”

This call lets following riders know at junctions, when the group is joining or crossing another road, whether or not the road is still clear or “sort of” clear or “clear if you are quick enough”. If the group cannot stay together the first ones across ride slowly until the others catch up or if not, just bomb off and we’ll see you when we see you.

“Pothole” or “hole” or “what the hell was that”

Any pothole that could cause a rider to fall, injure themselves or the bike. It is possible to indicate where it is so that you can ensure following riders can steer into it and do worse damage than you. Do this by either pointing or adding to the call “on the left (or right).” E.g. “there was a pothole in the road back there about half a mile ago on the left. I wonder who hit it?”

“Hill”

This is to alert Colin that a hill is coming up. He is likely to swear, gesticulate and bemoan the fact that he even bothered coming, just ignore him, fat people do that sort of thing all the time. Not to be confused with Dr Mark who is also a Hill.

“On the Left/Right” or “hef”/”rye” or “hey”/”ho”

A general warning of some kind of hazard; usually parked cars, underwear or pedestrians. For hazards on the left an alternative warning is to put your left hand behind your back, pointing to the right, away from the hazard extending your middle finger.

“I’ve been Moultened”

Serious mechanical failure but Trevor has shrugged his shoulders and carried on without you; leaving you without any means of contacting another soul and crying at the side of the road.

“Stopping” and “Slowing” or “stop”, “stooooooooooooop”

If you brake without letting those behind know your intention they can easily run into you especially if preceded by a “spanflange”shout

“Puncture”

Let the others know and they will wait while you repair it. It is important that you all stand around laughing at the rider misfortune and offer advice, especially at the point when they do not need it. If it is taking too long simply wrestle it off them as we all know we can do it much quicker than they can. Remember, why have one man person do it when three can take five times longer.

“Horse(s)”

Make sure that both the horse and rider are aware of your presence and if you are approaching from behind shout “hey, Shergar! You're bum looks big in that!!” or make a puffing noise like a Goat with emphysema “hrrwwwphhaaawww”. Alternatively you can shout “get that stupid animal out of my way’” both are very effective.

“It’s only 5 miles”

If you have no idea where you are, where you are going or when you are going to get there it’s reassuring to tell all other riders that it’s only 5 miles away. This can be demoralising at the very start of a ride.

“Controlled dismount”

how to stop without removing your feet from the cleats

Finally

Let others know if you are unable to keep up, we won’t do anything, it’s just handy to know once we are at the bar and we can say - does anyone know where (insert name(s) here) is? Who cares, let’s get the beers in.

General Etiquette

Ride erratically. Keep an ever increasing and decreasing line at varying speeds while in a group. Any sudden change to a straight line and a constant speed is magnified as it reaches riders at the back and so can have dramatic consequences.

Ride two, three or even four abreast where you can. Overlap either forwards or sideways; if the rider in front swerves or falls, don’t worry about it, they are now “moultened” they will pick themselves up at some point and catch up.

When approaching a hill, get off immediately and assess the situation, if it looks too hard then start walking or hail the van and get a lift. Remember there’s no ero in Hero.

Treat members of the group and other road users with courtesy. Acknowledge with a wave or gesticulation where necessary. If they get really out of order bang on their car and “offer them out”. Some handy Spanish phrases for local road users

· “I say, you almost knocked me off my bike, old bean” – “maldito idiota que te va a matar”

· “Lovely day we are having” – “besar a mi circuelas sanchez”

· “Honestly, it’s fine; I have another bike” – “chuparme un grande y gordo perdedor”

Remember, be safe, be seen and above all, abide by the code or you will find yourself in a Ride Officer sandwich.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    Our club run "rules";

Ahead of all the other suggestions below always remember the Highway Code, rules, regulations and laws of the road apply. You're responsible for you're safety so ensure your bike is road-worthy and you're confident riding on the open roads.

1. Have fun: Above all, the club runs are fun. Even when it's snowing. There may be some rules here but the club run isn't a military drill, it's about enjoying getting out on the bike.
    2. Highway Code: when riding, first and foremost you must at all time comply with the Highway Code and more than that, you must ride with courtesy and respect for other road users. You are responsible, not only for your own safety but for other riders around you. There will be a leader but their role is limited to choosing the route and so far as possible, making sure the Group stays together and respects other road users. They are NOT responsible for your safety, you are. You are also responsible for the cohesion of the Group and helping keep it together. Experienced Club members may ask you to adjust your speed, road position or style. Please respect them, as they are only concerned for everybody's safety.
    3. Don't race: The Club Run is a social ride, it is NOT a race. You can race to your heart's content in organised competitive events but please not on group runs. Do not overtake the rider(s) at the head of the group. Anyone accelerating ahead of the group will be assumed to be on another ride of their own devices. They will not be called after or chased after if they take a wrong turn. We normally wait for people who go off the back of the ride. We do NOT wait for people who go off the front.
    4. Group riding etiquette: Aim to ride with less than one metre between you and the rider in front. Ride in pairs, NEVER more than two abreast and directly behind a rider in front and not diagonally. Single-out if a car is behind and when filing out would enable the car to pass, or if the road conditions make it sensible to do so. Be careful when braking suddenly.
    5. Ride together and wait: When at a slow down a little to allow the riders behind to catch up and proceed as a group. Everyone takes time to set-off, clip-in and get settled back in the saddle. Keep the group together. Likewise, re-group at the top of hills and if necessary at the bottom. The lead riders should make sure that all riders are back in the group before resuming the at normal pace. It is okay to keep moving but slowly, until everyone is back together.
    6. Warnings and help: Front riders should warn of hazards ahead and inform the rest of the group verbally and/or with hand signals. Rear riders should ensure that no-one is falling behind. If they are, then they should inform those in front and the Group should slow to allow it to be reformed.
    7. Change the lead: Every few minutes, the lead should change. So if you've been sitting on the front for a while, when it's safe to do so, tell the others and swap the lead. But if you're tiring and suddenly it's your turn to be on the front, tell the others as it's fine to take it easy.
    8. Say hello: If you're new, please identify yourself to those leading the club run. Please listen to them, as they will explain how the run works and where it's going.
    9. Join: We especially welcome new members on the club run and if you like the club run, please become a member. We're happy for you to try the ride a few times but after three or four rides you join if you want to ride with us.
    10. Wear club kit: Members should wear the club kit if they can. The clothing is pro-team quality and stylish, it's a nice gesture to support our sponsors.
    11. Mechanicals: If someone punctures or has a mechanical, everyone is expected to stop. So in return for delaying everyone, make sure you start the ride with spares like an inner tube, tyre
    levers and that your bike is roadworthy.

Only the fast training run kicks up rough about people not having mudguards, nobody else seems to give a toss.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Relax and enjoy yourself.

Don't worry about keeping up as riding with quicker riders brings on your personal fitness.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    The only thing that i'd say is don't go out without mudguards on wet roads during a club run... I don't like looking like i've been for a mud bath after a ride... :(
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • MattyyP wrote:
    The only thing that i'd say is don't go out without mudguards on wet roads during a club run... I don't like looking like i've been for a mud bath after a ride... :(

You're not too far from me, which club do you ride with?
  • Turn up in a World Champs jersey :wink:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Turn up in a World Champs jersey :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: I think I'm going to model myself on this guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    MattyyP wrote:

You're not too far from me, which club do you ride with?

Heanor Clarion, where abouts are you in the shire?
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1