Chain quick links

dab_32
dab_32 Posts: 94
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hello all, just a quick question about quick release links in chains. Is it worth installing one on a chain without one or just carry the links in case the chain breaks on a ride?

I have a Crank Brothers multi-tool with a chain tool on it so could repair the chain and install a quick link on the fly. I can't see any advantages of installing one now but I may be missing something.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    All my chains have KMC quick links fitted and they make cleaning chains (and bikes) a doddle. Bear in mind that most chains now have mushroom pins which are not meant to be broken and refitted repeatedly so if you are using a chain tool for taking off/replacing a chain regularly then you could be asking for trouble.

I totally agree that a chain tool for fixing chains is just as effective as a quick link...in fact most broken chains will need some work on with a chain tool to get prepared for the quick link, which a lot of riders overlook...but quicklinks can make repairs a lot easier.

Cost is a quid or so, but I would recommend adding in the cost of quicklink pliers as they are also really useful...but not essential.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi Bobbinogs,
    I know little about chains so as I am doing more longer rides these days I was about to get a quicklink for my new bike. I have one for my old 9 speed but never used it.
    New one has an Ultegra 10 speed, so will a Sram 10 speed powerlink be ok?
    Am I right in thinking that if chain breaks I need to get any pins out of ends (with a chain tool) and put powerlink in by hand?
    Guess having a practice using multitool/link remover (on an old chain) would be a good idea too.
    Am I missing anything?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Pretty much what Bobbinogs says

KMC chains on nearly everything in the fleet with quick links.

Makes cleaning the chain and drivetrain a trivial issue (and I agree that a set of pliers for the job make life easier). Pop the link, clean the chain, pop it back on.

I always carry the relevant quicklinks with me when I am out riding - due to the application of sod's law, because I carry them, I have never needed one (personally - I have given away several to other riders over the years).

Do check your chain tool is up to the job (next time you change chain, try using the multi-tool chain tool) - a lot of them are not man enough for the job with modern peened rivets. (it's not a good thing to find this out when you're half way up a welsh mountain having just snapped your chain!).

I am not sure I'd rush to put one onto a chain that didn't have one - but if you want to, go for it! Certainly next chain you buy should have one (and KMC chains work well for me - X10L on the audax bike). Buy a couple of spares to pop in your saddlebag and job done.
  • Anonymous
    Do you take the pliers on every ride, or just easier for when at home?
    I have a topeak multitool (the one with the link remover anyway).
    Can you get/would a dedicated link removal tool be better to take on long rides?
    What link is best for my Ultegra 10 speed?
    Thanks for your help, have been meaning to sort this for a while.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I've got an SRAM powerlink on my 10 speed shimano chain and it's done a 200k audax and much climbing in the welsh mountains since I put it on (old chain broke just as I arrived for work having done a couple of mountains before I arrived - LUCKY!). I always carry a spare now.

It is a different length to the other links and I wouldn't want too many of them on there before I get another chain but it is perfectly serviceable. (Sheldon Brown doesn't entirely approve but also says it's OK).
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do you take the pliers on every ride, or just easier for when at home?
    I have a topeak multitool (the one with the link remover anyway).
    Can you get/would a dedicated link removal tool be better to take on long rides?
    What link is best for my Ultegra 10 speed?
    Thanks for your help, have been meaning to sort this for a while.

No - the pliers only help with breaking the chain apart (so they stay at home and are only used when I am cleaning the chain). You can break them apart by hand - but it's a faff (especially on a chain that's been out in winter conditions).

Joining them by hand is easy enough (it is worth practicing though).

Dedicated link-remover - as I said, make sure your multi-tool one works (I have a Topeak multi-tool and it does work, but not as nice to use as the fancy Park Tools one I have at home).

KMC joiners (missing link I think they call them??) work well - as do SRAM (however, I believe the 10 speed ones can't be reused from memory???)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    There may be a good reason for fitting a quick link in the comfort and convenience of your own garage. I've two bikes. A 9spd tiagra and a 10spd 105. Both have box standard shimano chains (i.e. as budget as Ribble can do). I fitted KMC links to both chains at the same time.

The 9spd pin popped out no problem.

The 10spd was a nightmare. It was so tight that I bent the handle on the chain splitter and eventually had to use a vice type arrangement to split the chain (actually what I did was put the (bent) handle of the chain splitter between two kerb stones to increase leverage).

I couldn't have split the 10spd at the side of the road with warm hands never mind cold hands.

I posted my experience on the Workshop forum and someone said that the tolerances on 10spd chains was much tighter thue making the pins harder to push.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok some info needs clearings.

Sram Power links are 9spd and less and are reusable.
    Sram Power Lock is 10spd and a one shot deal.

KMC do their links in both multi use and single use.

Some Shimano chains come with a Quicklink.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Sorry yeah, mine's a power lock not power link. I have a powerlink too but that's for my 9 speed bike and has yet to be used in anger.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for all your help.
    I'll check the chain for a link, but I am not bothered about taking it off just yet, I just want a quick repair if it breaks on a ride.

Think I will look at a park tools link remover anyway, and get one of each of the links. There is no harm having a selection, and it might help someone else out one day.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Navrig wrote:
    There may be a good reason for fitting a quick link in the comfort and convenience of your own garage. I've two bikes. A 9spd tiagra and a 10spd 105. Both have box standard shimano chains (i.e. as budget as Ribble can do). I fitted KMC links to both chains at the same time.

The 9spd pin popped out no problem.

The 10spd was a nightmare. It was so tight that I bent the handle on the chain splitter and eventually had to use a vice type arrangement to split the chain (actually what I did was put the (bent) handle of the chain splitter between two kerb stones to increase leverage).

I couldn't have split the 10spd at the side of the road with warm hands never mind cold hands.

I posted my experience on the Workshop forum and someone said that the tolerances on 10spd chains was much tighter thue making the pins harder to push.

My experience also. 105 10 speed chain. Bent the handle on the budget chain splitter I'd been happily using for 10 years on 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 speed chains. Praying I never have to do it at the roadside using my Crank Bros multitool :shock: