Advice sought - new commuting bike

CarlWalters
CarlWalters Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

first post so bear with me. I've been using a Pinnacle Mean Streak 2.0 Hybrid for commuting for a couple of years now. I go back and forth between Caversham and Basingstoke, so about 40 miles a day. The Pinnacle has served me reasonably well but is starting to show its age now. I want to buy something a bit better (again using my company's Ride2Work scheme - which unfortunately is limited to Evans Cycles). What I'm looking for is
- larger wheels (the Pinnacle only has 26")
- disc brakes (I've found these very useful on The Pinnacle)
- minimal maintenance (I want to free up more weekend time :D ) so ideally something with Carbon Belt Drive and internal gearing

I've seen this Scott Sub 10 2013 Hybrid Bike which seems to fit the bill
- 700c wheels
- carbon belt drive
- disc brakes
- internal gearing

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any other suggestions.

Comments

• If you have £1,500 to burn -

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... udwig-viii

Beautiful bike. No disc brakes, but Alfine hub gears and belt drive.
  • It does look beautiful I admit but as you say no disc brakes and £1500 is a tad rich for my blood. I'm really hoping to spend a maximum of £1000.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I've one of these Genesis IO ID. Superb bike. Done 7,000 on mine from 09. Perfect. Not really sure about the wheel size though! I put on some Schwalbe Marathon Plus slicks and it's a go anywhere bike and very very reliable.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    On One pompetamine:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF ... ne_8_speed

I have the drop bar version for my winter commuter and love it (sadly they don't seem to do it anymore). The only downside is the weight but you're not going to get a light bike with disc brakes and an IHG!
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    There's a thread here regarding commuting on a Defy. That would be my recommendation but always try before you buy. Giant can arrange a test bike for a day. I think there are 5 in the range this year, so pick the best one you can afford. It is always worth getting a carbon fork and the option to fit wider tyres and mud guards if you think you need them. Aim for a Tiagra or better groupset. The Sora, while functional, is a more than a little behind the Tiagra in performance. Others recommend the Boardman CX, which seems very popular and there is a thread purely for CX owners. I can't comment though since I've never ridden one.

Do you have a particular type in mind - flat bar or hoops?