Carrying Kit

teeoffchris
teeoffchris Posts: 42
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi All,

What do you all use for carrying a bit of kit on the bike. spare inner tubes multi tools etc. Looking at small saddle bag type thing or maybe triangular frame back but also wondered if there is anything that can use the spare bottle position I have as I only intend to use one bottle?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    A camalbak, I don't like hanging stuff off my bike as it isn't a christmas tree.
  • If you don't want to go down the camalbak route then you could use the spare bottle cage to place a kit bottle into or make use a spare bottle & fill it with your gear. However you would have to be sure to pack it tight or the rattling noise will drive you insane after a while & also make sure your cage/bottle have a nice and tight fit or the whole thing could fly out.

Personally I prefer my camalbak as its surprising how much you can get in for a good days ride plus I have one of their smaller ones for when riding times are short and i don't need to carry much kit.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have one of these storage bottles they are pretty useful but make sure everything is padded

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showpart.asp?part=PROATOOL250
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    If you don't want to go down the camalbak route then you could use the spare bottle cage to place a kit bottle into or make use a spare bottle & fill it with your gear. However you would have to be sure to pack it tight or the rattling noise will drive you insane after a while & also make sure your cage/bottle have a nice and tight fit or the whole thing could fly out.

Personally I prefer my camalbak as its surprising how much you can get in for a good days ride plus I have one of their smaller ones for when riding times are short and i don't need to carry much kit.

Aye, same. I've got a Camelbak classic for shorter rides, and a bigger rucksack if going all day with a bigger bladder. Even the little Camelbak still has room for a couple of multitools, a pump and an inner tube, although it has no space for clothes. Wouldn't be without either, both really useful. There are cheaper alternatives available, but Camelbak are good ime.
  • I have a small merida double pouched bag that straps to the top tube and around the steerer tube thing! its got a waterproof cover so holds my phone, inhalor, tubes, multitools nice and dry. Its a cheapy chinese thing off ebay.
    I have a camelback type thing as well, this just about holds my extra clothing if needed
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I have a small saddle pack on the commutor, but for mountain biking, I've given up with them and just use a Camelbak (other backpack-type hydration systems are available).

I never found a bottle holder that was good enough to keep a bottle on the frame (I've thrown many into the scenary over the years) when mountain biking, and I always found that frame mounted packs move and rub and take the paint off (I did significant damage with a battery pack pouch like this, and consequently gave up with them too).
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I use my daysack/camalback, im in the military so it's big enough for ammo and ecm's etc so easily big enough for biking kit. If you want one similar check out http://www.johnbullclothing.com