Hello from a newbie + a few q's...

richardmarriott
richardmarriott Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all

Ok so I ended up having a few too many shandies on New Year's Eve and agreed to cycle London to Paris with the aim to achieve it in 24 - 36 hours - stupid I know...

So I've brought my bike (a lovely Forme longcliffe) and had a good few goes on it!

Where I'm struggling with is the gear...

What do you peeps recommend for the following on a relatively low budget...

Gloves (my mtb gloves are not good for the road bike :-S)
Shorts or bib??
Shoes/pedals

I'm thinking of joining the local cycle club too to keep up the training but any more tips would always be appreciated..

Thanks
Rich

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Deffo bibs, so much nicer to ride in.

Pedals - if you already have SPD from your MTB then stick with that (which also means you can use the same shoes). If not the entry level Shimano SPD-SL' s are absolutley good enough (about £30 inc cleats).

Shoes - if going SPD-SL then the DHB ones from Wiggle are often considered the best VFM on a budget.

Gloves - blimey so many. Do you want mitts or full gloves.

With clothing though it is often best just to go to the LBS and try them as fit/sizes are all over the place.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Take a look at the dhb range at Wiggle.co.uk. Good quality for the cash and they cover all of the bases. One area not to skimp on though is a good pair of bib shorts with a good chamois pad. Your butt will thank you for it, especially on a longer ride like 36 hours to Paris. Get some chamois cream for pre-ride application too, again it will make longer rides significantly more comfortable.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Thanks all, just ordered me some dhb pro cycling bib shorts!

Shoes and clips next then the gloves.

Great to have some sound advice so thanks again :)