Bike transport !!

Wrekin 7
Wrekin 7 Posts: 13
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys looking to buy a new family car which I can also use to get my bike in for trail centres etc. Just wondering what different motors are available , currently got a Isuzu pick up but been looking at a swb transporter but need seats in back !!! Mega money!!! Also like the look of the vw touran as the seats clip out completely like a van so should get a bike or two in Has anybody had any experence with one of these??? Apologies if this has been done in the past did try a search to no avail. Cheers :D

Comments

• Just stick them on the roof like I do with my Honda CR-V (even though there's loads of room in the back). Much easier :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Isuzu pickup sounds perfect, bikes in the back, kids on the roof ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tow bar. tow bar mounted bike rack. even with my T4.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Wrekin 7 wrote:
    Hi guys looking to buy a new family car which I can also use to get my bike in for trail centres etc. Just wondering what different motors are available , currently got a Isuzu pick up but been looking at a swb transporter but need seats in back !!! Mega money!!! Also like the look of the vw touran as the seats clip out completely like a van so should get a bike or two in Has anybody had any experence with one of these??? Apologies if this has been done in the past did try a search to no avail. Cheers :D

just get a crew cab transporter, plenty of room in the back for bikes, even with the seats in.
  • Been looking at the crew cab transporter but struggling a bit with the funds!! Got a tow bar on my crew cab but if I'm honest I've know a few people followed home and dirty ba--ards scum bags have tried to break to nick the bike later on !! Just wondered if anyone has had a vw touran or simlair . Cheers
  • I borrowed my Dad's Touran & its was OK. The only issue I could see with it & others like it that I've driven is taking the seat out and storing the seat I thought I was faffing around TBH.

Having said that it did the job really well, gave us space and options of which seats to leave in when we wanted to and it was a very comfortable car for the long journey back from a race.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Great stuff thanks for the reply . Did you manage to get the bike in upright without taking the front wheel off ??
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Hi mate iv got a tourvan, no good only get 1 bike in with all wheels on, that with rear seats in but laid flat :roll:
  • Wrekin 7 wrote:
    Great stuff thanks for the reply . Did you manage to get the bike in upright without taking the front wheel off ??

Could have at a squeeze, but was easier to take the front wheel off & not mess around with the seat height.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Is this with your bike in the car at the same time as kids?

I have a big estate/tourer jobby and its bloody brilliant. Back seats go down flat and my bike goes straight in the back, wheels, saddle, left on and 700mm bars no problem. I can even get the boot cover over most of it (slides out from the shelf rack) which keeps a fair bit of it away from prying eyes. If local, the Dog goes in the front on the way to trails. I've carried 4 adults and me with 3 carefully placed frame and wheelsets, and day packs - slight squeeze but not uncomfortably so. Could probably do more but wouldn't want to damage anything.

Tax is low, fuel is ok, just works for me and the family (including messy baby and Labrador).
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Enormo-estate... Love my mondeo, I tried to find out how many bikes I could fit in the back once, but I ran out of bikes at 6. The boot's so big you could park a mondeo in it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Why not just buy a double cab truck instead of a crew cab. I have a Navara and use a towbar mounted rack for 3 bikes, if it's just my bike I strap in down in the bed, I could carry another 3 on the roof. I have had my bike in the cab as well just needed to take the wheel off.

Or how about a Nissan Pathfinder nice big 7 seater, fold the back ones down, loads of space.
  • Ive heard a few stories about the Wrekin area too! Whatever you get make sure it has a good alarm on it lol!!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    If you want cheap and large, can't beat what I've got and have always had.Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner.

I've got an ex motability Berlingo XTR, all the rear seats come out or fold down in about 30 seconds, does around 55mpg, can transport 2 adults, 2 children, dog , and a weeks worth of holiday stuff and a bike with the wheels taken off with the rear parcel shelf still in place. Internal roof rack means that I even had 2 junior surf boards in there.

On the way back from France we added 72 bottles of wine and copius amounts of food to the cargo. Still averaged 50mpg on the motorway.

In terms of biking trips I've had 3 bikes, 3 large people and a weeks kit in there including a huge Outwell tent and camping stuff.

It cost under £6k with less than 14,000 miles on the clock. Because it's an old peoples car it also costs under £400 fully comp, guaranteed car, legal protection and recovery.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Focus estate with roof bars here. As a slight luxury, we got a wire cage boot divider thing from http://www.travall.co.uk/dividers-t364 so we can pop the dog in a secure space in the boot where his mess is out the way - works great.

Offspring in back seat, dog in one half the boot, stuff in the other half of boot, bikes on roof, happy days.

If I'm honest I'd rather have a Mondeo (cause, bigger) with a towbar rack for the bikes (better on fuel consumption).