Which 2013 £500 29er Model - Specialized vs Cube

PHILIP1193
PHILIP1193 Posts: 20
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey All,

Firstly thank you to those of you who reply.

Im very much in the mists of purchasing my first 29er. Now i have upto £500 to spend and as there isn't too much information to go on when it comes to 29er's so i kind of need some buying advice.

My two local bike shops are offering me these two models which are priced the same and have similar specification.

What i need is boffin of sorts who can tell me which one is best for the money by looking at the parts they each use as i cant see any review of these 2013 models. Also im told that 29er's are coming on leaps and bounds each year so its unfair to look at last years models for reviews.

Link below to a shop that sells them online for the same price as my local shops

First offer is the Cube Aim Disc 29er - http://bit.ly/X0pyvY
Second offer is the Specialized Hard Rock Disc 29er - http://bit.ly/12nHaRH

I am open to other brands but i do like to buy local as im a service man at heart not price.

Phil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Cube if you have to, but both are a bit rubbish.
    You'd do a lot better with a 26er. Something out of the sticky.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    What cooldad said.

You generally get a lower spec than a similarly priced 26er and on those 2 you really suffer with the forks.
  • yes, at that budget you'd be much better off with 26er. See sticky CD refers too:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also at that price the wheels/tyres will be pretty heavy, further adding to the negative side of 29ers....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.