Will my bike do? and other questions

redpat1
redpat1 Posts: 54
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Guys
I am just starting to get in to my cycling in a more than casual basis and am unsure about a few things and hoped I might find a few answers here.
I have posted on the commuting section about my Bianchi D2 cross for commuting but I also wondered if it would be suitable to use on a club run (when I find one)in the slow group fitted with 25's?
I am in to steel bikes and dont really find carbon exciting so my question is down the road if I buy a decent steel framed bike like a Surly Pacer or Tokyo Wide open will there be a noticable difference to a person of similar abilities on a run?
Lastly, I have looked at a few clubs in my area in Medway, Kent and although I desperately want to join I find myself lacking in confidence, mostly about getting sneered at by well trained roadies on exotic rides and getting dropped even by a slow group! Any advice would help

Pat

Comments

• (For reference, both of my bikes are made from steel, though I would buy bicycles made from aluminium, steel or titanium.)

Hardware makes very little performance difference. Steel bikes are great.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME the bike is rarley important.

There are guys in our club on 30 year old steel frames with limited gearing and poor brakes and they just romp away when the going gets tough.

If you are ready then the bike will be fine.

I have to say that I prefer to be behind them going down hill though (poor legs I can live with, poor brakes is another thing all together :-) )
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    All clubs are different, try before you buy is a good idea. The club I ride with have 3 different speed rides, no one is looked down on, there are all sorts of people on all sorts of bikes and, as long as you pick a group that is right for your ability, you will fit in no matter what you ride.

But a club is created to meet the needs of the members at the time, it could be that your ideas of cycling do not fit with theirs. So the keys are communication, talk to them and sound them out, and try before you buy, most clubs will allow you to ride as a guest for a few rides before joining (CTC rules on insurance is 5 guest rides max).

So take your time and find a club that fits you.
  • A better bike makes very little difference in performance. Besides, any benefit you might have on a better bike is surely irrelevant when you're in the middle of the group (at least compared to whoever is pushing).
  • Thanks guys, I am a bit self concious as I come from a backgroud of contact sports and have the build and scars to show it, so I guess I feel that the roadies I see are nothing like me in the looks department. I know that once I get in to something I am very competitve but I am not sure if I will ever be lean and light enough to be be happy with my own performance. I guess I will have to bite the bullet, get involved and see what happens.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    Pat

Whereabouts are from? I am in sittingbourne and looking for someone to train with at weekends. Or we can join a club together and get sneered at together.

Jeff
  • Bookwyse wrote:
    Pat

Whereabouts are from? I am in sittingbourne and looking for someone to train with at weekends. Or we can join a club together and get sneered at together.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,I am in Walderslade at the top of the hill, I am definately up for a training partner as long as you dont show me up to much.

Pat
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    redpat1 wrote:
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Pat

Jeff

Hi Jeff,I am in Walderslade at the top of the hill, I am definitely up for a training partner as long as you dont show me up to much.

Pat
    FFS will you 2 get a room - or a hill or something :wink:

For the P.C. Brigade this is intended to be humours.
  • redpat1 wrote:
    Lastly, I have looked at a few clubs in my area in Medway, Kent and although I desperately want to join I find myself lacking in confidence, mostly about getting sneered at by well trained roadies on exotic rides and getting dropped even by a slow group! Any advice would help

Pat

Most sizeable clubs run several groups from the faster racer types who can seem a bit serious when you first meet them to your regular steady weekend types who are into the social & fitness side. But don't let it put you off, they should welcome you with open arms and look after any prospective new member well.

If after you have been out with them a few times if you still feel they are not for you you are under no obligation to become a full member and you can try out another club.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Thanks guys, I think I will have to get my backside in gear and take the plunge with a club.
    I think my bike will serve me well until the spring when I think I will rob a bank and go for something in steel.

Cheers

Pat