Bianchi D2

redpat1
redpat1 Posts: 54
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
I am going to start commuting to the office, approimately 10 miles each way with one long and then sharp climb on the return leg. I have a D2 cross which I bought a couple of years ago but have hardly ridden due to long term illness and now that I am reasonably fit again but still over weight I want to use as my daily transport. Will the bike be ok as an all rounder as I would like to fit some 25's for the week days and then fit cycloX tyres for the weekend? I cant really afford a bike for everything so I can either sell the Bianchi and buy something more suitable or make do with what I have. I am a Returning cyclist away from the scene a while so all help appreciated

Comments

• pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    You'll only know when you do it :) If the bike is a good fit for you then there's no reason why it'll be uncomfortable for 10 miles - mechanically speaking it's as good as any other bike for riding to work on. Maintain it well and it'll repay you.

You'll definitely want some mudguards for it. If it doesn't have eyelets you'll need to use the Road Racer type mudguards, but anything bigger than a tyre width of 23mm and it might make an annoying rubbing noise when you're going along.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pete_s wrote:
    You'll only know when you do it :) If the bike is a good fit for you then there's no reason why it'll be uncomfortable for 10 miles - mechanically speaking it's as good as any other bike for riding to work on. Maintain it well and it'll repay you.

You'll definitely want some mudguards for it. If it doesn't have eyelets you'll need to use the Road Racer type mudguards, but anything bigger than a tyre width of 23mm and it might make an annoying rubbing noise when you're going along.

he means CrudRacers.

if you wanna use fatter tyres put on SKS Raceblades if it doesnt take full fitted guards and you wanna put Fatter tyres on it. For the commute depending on the time of year, i have either 25 M+ or 35 racing Ralphs, and they both fit well under the guards.

CX bikes make excellent commuters.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Hi Guys, got some conti 4 season 28's on my bike now and i have to say I am astonished in how my confidence has grown just by changing the tyres. The handling is more secure in the damp as well as the dry and cornering feels a lot more sure footed. You are right ruber toe, CX bikes make great commuters but when the nights draw out and the temperature rises I think I will buy something more racier in steel.