Running Short cage mech on 1x10 set up

ifindoubtflatout
ifindoubtflatout Posts: 132
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Iam need a new mech and was thinking about a X9 short cage, iam just wanting to double check that they run fine with a 10 speed 11-36 cassette. Anyone running this set up?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    oops - please delete - misread OP
  • Look on the SRAM website for the capacity. It'll depend on what you run on the fronr
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    It'll be real tight with a short cage, better off with a mid or long cage.
  • Iam running a 32 up front..........the capacity is ok. Just wanted to know how they run and if any probe.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    marz wrote:
    It'll be real tight with a short cage, better off with a mid or long cage.

Only true if you have a full suspension bike with a lot of chain growth. Hardtails will be fine running a 11-36t cassette and a short cage mech
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I run a short cage on an 11-34t cassette and it really doesn't like shifting to the 34t. As far as I know it's all setup correctly with the correct length chain but I'm pretty sure it was fine when it was just a 11-32t cassette.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you are in range you should be fine. just set the chain length suitably if a fully.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    I run a short cage on an 11-34t cassette and it really doesn't like shifting to the 34t. As far as I know it's all setup correctly with the correct length chain but I'm pretty sure it was fine when it was just a 11-32t cassette.

Did you adjust the mech when you went to the 34 from the 32?
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    peter413 wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:

Did you adjust the mech when you went to the 34 from the 32?

Yep and it still doesn't feel quite right.
    If SRAM says it will work on that size cassette (I haven't checked) then I won't argue the point as they know best so it will be put down to user error :oops: