Teaching a child to swim

2»

Comments

• I watched the swimming instructor teaching and the children looked miserable. Its about having fun and them enjoying themselves.

I'm not singling you out, but that's a phrase that really grates on me. The idea that everything that children do has to be fun, and if it isn't it's someone else's fault that they're not engaging is wrong (IMO). Chemistry homework will almost never be fun or enjoyable. Latin vocab will never be fun or enjoyable. Doing a proper swim club session is not fun or enjoyable. It's bloody hard work.

These tasks, along with numerous others, can be satisfying, usually because one understands that they are a step in a much larger undertaking, and sometimes precisely because they are bloody hard work. I wonder (and occasionally worry) whether, by creating a generation for whom everything must be fun, we will end up with a generation that is distinctly hard work-shy.[/quote]

I'm not singling you out but your not comparing apples with apples. Comapring Latin homework to a sport or past time is not the same thing at all. I used to Row back in my younger days, anyone who has will tell you how hard it is but also that it is enjoyable. I was also talking about swimming lessons for a young child not a swim club session which is also a different thing.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right, so swimming lessons at 4. Check.

I have nothing else to add.
    :wink:
    :lol::lol::lol:

Wow you are on fire today.
    Couldn't resist :D
  • I used to Row back in my younger days
    I used to Row in my younger days too, then I got married. Now I Row with the wife... :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem