Pope resigning. Fastest Application of Godwin's Law?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Well, come on.

It's tailor made isn't it? :lol:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    May I?

Well he was a nazi...

You serve em up, KB, I'll knock em out the park...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Second post only. You should have Godwin'd the title........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Just received from my mate:

The Pope claims he's too ill to work, but ATOS suspect Benedict Fraud....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Aren't catholics supposed to pull out early to avoid getting into trouble?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    He wanted to spend more time with the family
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • He wanted to spend more time with the family

or with the kids....

(am I going to hell now?)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Its been on the news feed in our offcieseemingly constantly all day - is it such a big deal - old bloke retires?

he's looked like he was on his last legs for ages anyway. any catholics care to comment on the significance of eth pope retiring. whilst it doesn't often happen (presumably due to lack of sheltered accomodation in the Vatican area on the face of it it doesn't seem such a big deal
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Its been on the news feed in our offcieseemingly constantly all day - is it such a big deal - old bloke retires?

he's looked like he was on his last legs for ages anyway. any catholics care to comment on the significance of eth pope retiring. whilst it doesn't often happen (presumably due to lack of sheltered accomodation in the Vatican area on the face of it it doesn't seem such a big deal

Being baptised a Catholic and trust me the childhood 'teaching' never really leaves you, I might be able to explain it in terms of:

No Pope has resigned for 600 years, so it's a bit rare.
    The Pope is God's representative on Earth. The Holiest man in the Catholic Church, his position granted by the authority of God himself - it's not something you can just stop being.

So yes, it's a bit of a big deal for the Catholics

(incidentally, I am rabidly anti-organised religion: the message is always lost in the rules. Eventually you stop believing in the message and start believing in the rules. So I gave up my Catholic upbringing quite some time ago)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Where do I send my CV?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Where do I send my CV?
    We were pondering that here. It's an obvious step, having had applications for the manager's job rejected by Spurs, Everton, Fulham, Leicester City (twice :() and the Villa, and a stab at being CEO at ICI when it was still a viable concern. So yeah. Pope eh? That'd look neat on my email sig & Out Of Office.

I was once called a Nazi (nooooh) at work in a heated discussion and t'wife is a lapsed Catho, so I must be in with a shout. Pope CiB, OBE, CBE, KC and Stats, will see you now...
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    CiB wrote:
    Where do I send my CV?
    We were pondering that here. It's an obvious step, having had applications for the manager's job rejected by Spurs, Everton, Fulham, Leicester City (twice :() and the Villa, and a stab at being CEO at ICI when it was still a viable concern. So yeah. Pope eh? That'd look neat on my email sig & Out Of Office.

I was once called a Nazi (nooooh) at work in a heated discussion and t'wife is a lapsed Catho, so I must be in with a shout. Pope CiB, OBE, CBE, KC and Stats, will see you now...

I was made redundant last November so I think I may give it a shot. Anyway, I do remember that the last time His Holiness (Soon to be MY Holiness) visited these shores, someone breached the security cordon and threw a bottle of Domestos at him!....The assailant was later charged with a bleach of the priest. :lol: :twisted:
  • You've all been beaten to the post:

11351_538812199472315_1828225825_n.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055
    I guess it had nothing to do with this then:

roger-boyes-sex-abuse.png

(Wonder if the editor handpicked the journo for the job? ) :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess it had nothing to do with this then:

roger-boyes-sex-abuse.png

(Wonder if the editor handpicked the journo for the job? ) :lol:

Ah, of course! He's given it up for Lent!!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Aston Villa win their first game of the year and the next day the Pope resigns. Coincidence? I think not, there's more to this than meets the eye!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Give him credit, the last Pope to resign didn't really, he was given an ultimatum and stood down to save face, so it's even longer than a mere 650 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 285392_485535038174667_682174097_n.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I had to look up Godwin's Law at Wikipedia and as a result I don't think I've ever spent so much time looking up words in a dictionary. That article is full of those links that before you know it, having followed link after link, end up on a page wondering how the hell you got there. And possibly even forgot where you started!
  • alidaf wrote:
    I had to look up Godwin's Law at Wikipedia and as a result I don't think I've ever spent so much time looking up words in a dictionary. That article is full of those links that before you know it, having followed link after link, end up on a page wondering how the hell you got there. And possibly even forgot where you started!

It's an education using this forum you know... 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    alidaf wrote:

It's an education using this forum you know... 8)
    and I bet there is a Law for that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The Vatican have announced that instead of the secret conclave meeting to elect a new pope, they'll be having a guest pope every week instead so look out for Boris, Jo Brand, Alexander Armstrong & Jeremy Clarkson popping up in the job occasionally.

Plan B is to fly 20 hopefuls out to Argentina for a few days to see who comes out as the winner, in Popal Wipeout.

Thanks to my mate AJHMurray on Twitter for those. :wink:
  • CiB wrote:
    The Vatican have announced that instead of the secret conclave meeting to elect a new pope, they'll be having a guest pope every week instead so look out for Boris, Jo Brand, Alexander Armstrong & Jeremy Clarkson popping up in the job occasionally.

Plan B is to fly 20 hopefuls out to Argentina for a few days to see who comes out as the winner, in Popal Wipeout.

Thanks to my mate AJHMurray on Twitter for those. :wink:

I think you'll find that Simon Cowell is going to make a reality TV show out of this. Likely to be called Pope Idol.

Ant and Dec are said to be planning to rival this with a series of "I'm ecclesiastical, get me out of here!" :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Given he's the first in almost 7 centuries to do this, I wonder what the Pope Pension Plan is like? Do they even get paid a salary? The application for a government social security payment would be worth framing:

"Previous Employment: Pope".

Wonder if he has a book deal in the offing?

Must be a shame to hand back the Infallibility Medallion or whatever it is. Is that like a Scouts badge?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I wonder what the Pope Pension Plan is like? Do they even get paid a salary?

I believe he used to buy a lot of stuff on ebay but that's likely to stop now that the Vatican has closed his Papal account :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem