London Phoenix Easter Classic - Monday 1 April

London Phoenix Cycling Club's 6th Easter Classic Cyclosportive takes place on Easter Monday, 1st April 2013.

As before, there are two routes on offer - 112km and 54km - starting from Fairlop Waters Country Park in Essex (See below for route details and HQ location). Both routes will be fully sign posted, and will take you through the quiet country lanes of Essex. The longer distance will pass through the villages of Good and High Easter, and features a feed station with toilets where you'll also be served free hot/cold drinks and tasty snacks.

Those who complete either route will be rewarded with a seasonal gift, and you can relax at the fully licenced HQ after the ride.

Entry is £12 in advance for either route via the British Cycling website -
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ic#summary

We hope to see you on 1 April.

Regards,
London Phoenix CC
www.londonphoenix.co.uk
****************************************************************************************************************
Additional information
HQ: Fairlop Waters Country Park, situated between Fairlop Underground and the Redbridge Cycling Centre (Hog Hill). With plenty of Car Parking, toilets, spares and changing rooms, we hope to be able to open up the event to greater numbers than ever before. For a map and address of the HQ please see British Cycling website.

Long (112km) route:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lo ... long-route

Shorter (54km) route:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lo ... hort-route

www.londonphoenix.co.uk

Comments

• Finishes in a boozer - what more could you ask for?
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    Great to hear it's back again, although let's hope it doesn't rain so much this year....the long is a lovely route if it's clear enough to see where you are going!
  • Would someone averaging around 22kph be unwelcome on the longer route?
  • Would someone averaging around 22kph be unwelcome on the longer route?

Of course not. Go for it! All welcome...
  • In case anyone tried to book today and couldn't get a spot, more places are now available on the British Cycling website.
  • Web link says fully booked :(

I hope you get the promotion you've been looking for BTW 8)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Seems to be working now.

I'm in, but given the half marathon the day before, I'm not sure how far I'll get.

Hopefully better weather than last year as a few beers at the end would be great.
    exercise.png

Thanks, Charlie. Apparently there's no longer a position for me. So I'm going to go home, put on the kettle and make some tea.

Just as importantly, the online entry is back up so get yerselves booked to ride!

Thanks, Charlie. Apparently there's no longer a position for me. So I'm going to go home, put on the kettle and make some tea.

Just as importantly, the online entry is back up so get yerselves booked to ride!

:mrgreen:

Thanks S-J
  • I'm booked in. Let's hope that we are riding under a Burning Sky :wink:
  • Forecast is for a Heatwave :wink:
  • One things for sure. During the last few kms I will be going through my Private Hell :wink:
  • I've signed up for this, looking to get some fast miles in on different lanes to my normal Kent rides.

Anyone interested in joining up to form a fast chaingang for this?
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • One things for sure. During the last few kms I will be going through my Private Hell :wink:

Girl On The Phone at British Cycling was really helpful earlier. They've promised a bit of promo help and got the entries extended. If anyone else fancies circulating details to pals, clubs, etc then I'll make a note and beer, etc will be available after the ride :wink:

Girl On The Phone at British Cycling was really helpful earlier. They've promised a bit of promo help and got the entries extended. If anyone else fancies circulating details to pals, clubs, etc then I'll make a note and beer, etc will be available after the ride :wink:

I have stuck it up on my club forum. Four of us signed up so far.
    We'll be as Thick as Thieves riding in close formation :wink:

• I have stuck it up on my club forum. Four of us signed up so far.
    We'll be as Thick as Thieves riding in close formation :wink:

Good work, Charlie. What's your club?

I was at Hog Hill today and hopefully some of Saturday's Kids from Lee Valley Youth are going to join in. It's going to be good.

• Good work, Charlie. What's your club?

I was at Hog Hill today and hopefully some of Saturday's Kids from Lee Valley Youth are going to join in. It's going to be good.

Gateway Cycling.

Is there going to be a TCX map available?
    We don't want to get lost and end up riding through some Wasteland
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Done this sportive for the last 3 years and plan to be back In The Crowd for 2013. Hope it's doesn't rain so I'm Mr Clean at the end.

I'll avoid looking at my Garmin to get Away From the Numbers and just ride for once without London Traffic looking for an English Rose, hoping not to get hit by a Billy Hunt driver.

Fairlop is always a Place I Love, it has All Mod Cons, isn't a Wasteland like some sportive HQs, so a good place to Start! the ride.

Low entry means we don't have to part with much Pretty Green, now That's Entertainment!

With all the cold weather recently I've just been turboing, living Life From a Window, dreaming of The Gift that is a Long Hot Summer of sportiving.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • isn't a Wasteland like some sportive HQs,

Oi! Wasteland has been done already :evil:

But you're one of us and we love you for that :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Thanks for not picking on the 1 Style Council title that snuck in. Was fair game given it's all penned by the same legend.

On a serious note, weather is looking a bit better but isn't stellar, yet I won't complain if The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong. It's always good to ride.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • 56mph
    I've signed up for this, looking to get some fast miles in on different lanes to my normal Kent rides.

Sure, it's a route which favours a group.
    How fast is your fast? I did the Kentish Killer in Gold time (just).
  • 56mph wrote:
    I've signed up for this, looking to get some fast miles in on different lanes to my normal Kent rides.

Well I'm trying my hand at racing this year so using a couple of early year sportives like this as training. I did a few sportives last year in gold standard time, the Reigate Sportive, Wiggle the Long One (though the 110km route) and did the Dulwich Ride of the Fallen Leaves in 4 hours, that was pretty hilly. I'll be returning from a week in Mallorca on the Friday before so should be in good form. If it's flat (it's in Essex so I presume it is) I'll be hoping to hold a high 20s kph speed if possible. Is that fast enough to keep up with you or would I need to be 30kph+?
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• 56mph
    56mph wrote:

Well I'm trying my hand at racing this year so using a couple of early year sportives like this as training. I did a few sportives last year in gold standard time, the Reigate Sportive, Wiggle the Long One (though the 110km route) and did the Dulwich Ride of the Fallen Leaves in 4 hours, that was pretty hilly. I'll be returning from a week in Mallorca on the Friday before so should be in good form. If it's flat (it's in Essex so I presume it is) I'll be hoping to hold a high 20s kph speed if possible. Is that fast enough to keep up with you or would I need to be 30kph+?

I remember it having a few hills but not like the Downs. I did the Ride of the Falling Leaves in 4h07m, with a week in Mallorca you may be fitter than me but still let's give it a go.
  • 56mph wrote:
    56mph wrote:

I remember it having a few hills but not like the Downs. I did the Ride of the Falling Leaves in 4h07m, with a week in Mallorca you may be fitter than me but still let's give it a go.

Cool, I'll be the guy in the Wigmore CC kit. It's pretty distinctive, Orange, Pink, White and Black! You know anyone else doing it? Might be able to drag along a couple of guys of a similar ability.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• martinperry
    martinperry Posts: 127
    This is my first sportive - training for London 100 in august.
    Since its my local territory, much of which I use on a regular basis, thought it would be a perfect start.
    Im doing the 70 mile route, but can bale out home at 50 miles with a 2 mile diversion :D if i find ive over reached myself!
    A couple of questions:
    What sort of average speed is the "average" likley to be? I can normally hold about 16MPH over 45 miles solo, so am expecting to do about 15 over the 70 - am I going to be getting back when the lights have been turned off?

Second, where is the feeding station - kids want to come and meet me half way if convenient?
  • Martin -

I don't think there is an "average' speed. Just do your own ride, do it safely and have a great time. It isn't a race (honest) bit I'd bet you'll surprise yourself. 16mph is great and with a bit of an adrenalin rush you'll probably go even quicker.

Feed station is at Pleshey, between Great Waltham and High Easter.

See you on Monday!
  • A cracking ride out today. :D

Thanks S-J
  • martinperry
    martinperry Posts: 127
    Seconded - thanks a lot - great organization, although a massive fail on planning the wind!!
    Managed 4.51, so 14.5 miles - about on my target, and learnt a lot - like remember to eat something between 60 and 90Km to avoid having to pull up and stop because your legs say get knotted!!
  • I spent far too long at the feed station :shock:
    Top grub 8)
    Brilliant organisation.