1st proper road bike - it is amazing!!

rossonerro
rossonerro Posts: 9
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hello everyone :)

I have finally made the decision to get into proper road cycling and decided to share my joy with the community.

After riding a fat-tyred hybrid for a couple of years, mainly for commuting and a couple of summer 50-milers, I decided to get a proper road bike. I did some (extensive) research and as it usually happens with these things, I ended up exceeding my initial budget a bit.

I went for a 2013 Kuota Kharma Evo.

What caught my attention with the Kuotas was the amazing sporty looks they have, and the fact that I haven't seen many (any to be honest) of these bikes on London's roads. Also the fact that the Kharma is a carbon frame.

The bike arrived this Saturday. Unfortunately, the weather down here is quite bad but managed to give it a go for a couple of hours. Now clearly my basis of comparison is a Carrera hybrid bike, but boy is this thing fast! Acceleration is just amazing and it just asks for more and more pace. First impression with the bike was therefore great. One aspect of it that will need some work is the new riding position and balance. After flying around the park and getting used to cleets for an hour, I decided to get on the road for a bit. I certainly didn't feel very comfortable manouvering around traffic, as I did on the hybrid. I think it's a combination of the riding position and the precise and sensitive steering of the Kuota, which I am still not used to. It will surely take some quiet weekend riding before I hit Whitechapel road 8am on a weekday. Well excited though and looking forward to Ride London 100.

Any road cycling top tips are more than welcome :)

PS: The guys at Aire Valley cycles were really helpful with sorting the bike out and delivering it promptly on a Saturday. The reason I ordered rather than get it from a local shop is that they offered quite a competitive price.

Comments

• rossonerro wrote:
    I certainly didn't feel very comfortable manouvering around traffic, as I did on the hybrid. I think it's a combination of the riding position and the precise and sensitive steering of the Kuota, which I am still not used to.
    I was just the same a few short months ago. I'd really only ever ridden hybrids, and I found fine control was tricky at the beginning.

I'm no Martyn Ashton, but it's easy now, and I can ride no hands again, just as I could as a kid.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Welcome to the crazy world of road cycling, hope you like to suffer. GOODLUCK BROTHER.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Welcome and that bikes a beauty.Now just ride it.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    Nice looking bike fella :)
  • Good looking bike, especially as a first set of proper roadie wheels. Welcome & enjoy the riding & think were all in the same boat Re the weather but it will be better soon ..... I think!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rossonerro wrote:
    I certainly didn't feel very comfortable manouvering around traffic, as I did on the hybrid. I think it's a combination of the riding position and the precise and sensitive steering of the Kuota, which I am still not used to.
    I was just the same a few short months ago. I'd really only ever ridden hybrids, and I found fine control was tricky at the beginning.

I'm no Martyn Ashton, but it's easy now, and I can ride no hands again, just as I could as a kid.

+1

you'll get used to it soon enough, just take it easy for a few weeks. Don't miss my hybrid around town at all tbh
  • The colour scheme on that is to my taste. Nice one!!

I've been a fast hybrid cyclist for a few years now, mainly for fitness but the odd commute and 35-40 milers during the years, with probably as much passion for cycling as anyone else. I'm soon to also take delivery of my first 'real road bike' so I'm keen to hear how you get on.

8)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Really like the aero road bike frames, but you gotta do it justice! Buy some aero wheels. :P

Good luck and happy miles.
  • Good luck! Keep it clean :)
  • caad5
    caad5 Posts: 76
    obey the rules
  • Thanks guys! Gave it another ride last night (even though it was snowing - just couldn't resist). Getting better on the handling side and hoping the weather forecast will deliver and we will get some sunshine on Saturday.

As for the Aero wheels - I will definitely upgrade at some point but not in the next few months - I spent a small fortune on the bike, which was not planned so will have to keep it as it is for now :)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Lovely bike. I see you're already talking about upgrading - you've arrived in the world of road cycling already I think!! Enjoy. :D
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Thanks Crescent. Yeah, the wheels will need to go but not anytime soon - I am quite happy with the ride as it is :D. I went out for a few more evening rides around my flat in the last few days and am feeling a bit more confident for a longer ride now. Even though I almost fell with one foot clipped the other day - I am glad I set the spring tightness on my Shimano SPD SLs quite low. I basically unclipped my left shoe at a traffic light but as I have set my seat post quite high, I lost balance and started leaning right. Just a second before I lost total control, the right shoe unclipped too - saved myself a bit of embarrassment. Not sure what would have hurt more - a sore right arm and a few bruises or a chip in the carbon frame :D
    Anyhow, planning to do c.60 miles tomorrow - from east London to Box hill and back - hopefully the weather will be good as promised. Will give some feedback on the ride/stiffness etc if people are interested.
  • Whats the weight of that ride bro?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • rossonerro wrote:
    I am glad I set the spring tightness on my Shimano SPD SLs quite low.
    Good call!

That has saved me on several occasions so far. :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • pride4ever wrote:
    Whats the weight of that ride bro?

Weirdly enough, I couldn't find the weight of the bike anywhere before I bought it. I will (somehow) put it on the scales tonight but I think it should be c.8kg. It feels really light but then again my previous bike was 15kg :)
    rossonerro wrote:
    I am glad I set the spring tightness on my Shimano SPD SLs quite low.
    Good call!

That has saved me on several occasions so far. :)

Absolutely. And the good thing is that my shoe hasn't unclipped once without me trying to do so. I don't think I will be increasing the tightness anytime soon - just can't see the point (probably a tiny performance gain I would imagine...)