Who steals just a rear wheel?

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Locked up around the side of the house are my Kaffenback, my Pearson, my wife's Trek (road bike but can't remember what one) and about 5 BSO's (not ours). Other 2 bikes are indoors.

We went out Friday evening to get 2 to cycle to a friends house. Her back wheel is missing. Just her back wheel. Both wheels on Kaffenback and her front wheel were all on QR and could all have been taken. Nope. What kind of madness is this?!? It was a decent bontrager wheel, been very reliable but nothing amazing. Just stock on the bike.

The other wheels are now locked up of course, bit of a case of locking the stable door after the horse has quick released but never mind.

It's an annoying amount of stuff to replace. Wheel, tyre, tube, cassette and chain (old one is on it's last legs anyway). More confusing than anything else though.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    someone had only locked a bike up by the rear wheel and the theif needed a rear wheel for is "new" bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    A unicyclist?
  • I know quite a few people (including me) that have had just front wheels stolen
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    They're just thieving twunts. They probably take a few bikes and it's good to have a spare wheel in case they damage one. I'd be worried they've had a look at what's there and what kind of locks you have. Might be worth improving the security a bit in case they come back suitably equipped.
  • pangolin
    Yeah you're probably right. I did wonder about security! Already have 2 big abus D locks and one of those thick abus granit cables. Wheels now have a normal kryptonite cable. Not much more I can do I don't think, but I will ponder it.

I will be looking closely at all rear wheels for the near future!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I think some people steal stuff because they are ***** and they can! No reason, not even anything they need, they are just ***** and that is how they think. They see an opportunity and their natural inclination is to steal it, whether they even want it or not.

I was burgled when I lived in Coventry. As well as the half valuable stuff, TV, Video, CD's etc, they took my degree coursework binders and dumped them. Someone found them and returned them but it would have caused me untold hassle had they not. They were taken for no other reason than to cause me inconvenience.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Someone who needed one?

Are you prime suspect for the next missing wheel? :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pangolin
    No all the other London commuters are daviesee, as I am now short a wheel! It is, rather appropriately, a vicious circle.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • What goes around......

.... is likely to get nicked

An old English proverb meaning if someone nick's your wheel you'll have to obtain one from somewhere else to complete the cycle. or something like that

Sorry to hear that
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Stolen to order.
  • veronese68
    pangolin wrote:
    Yeah you're probably right. I did wonder about security! Already have 2 big abus D locks and one of those thick abus granit cables. Wheels now have a normal kryptonite cable. Not much more I can do I don't think, but I will ponder it.
    Maybe add in a hefty chain and a ground anchor or similar. Abus stuff is pretty good, I think I read somewhere their 16mm U lock was rated as highly as other 19mm locks.
  • pangolin
    Yeah the 'locks that work' thread on lfgss rates them well. Ground anchor might be a good idea I'll have a look.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    I think that's where I read it. Also with a ground anchor, being at home the weight of a chain is irrelevant.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    They looked at your three bikes and decided the only thing worth pinching was a rear wheel? You should be ashamed.

Hard luck though, and fingers crossed they don't return.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I had a front brake stolen from one of my bikes a while back... nothing else.
  • I had a front brake stolen from one of my bikes a while back... nothing else.

Same here - coincidentally the day after Mrs MRS topped up my life insurance..... :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    A Pinarello would be far too heavy to carry away.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    A Pinarello would be far too heavy to carry away.

:lol:

Although it was off a Focus, and it was an Ultegra brake... makes no sense.
  • pangolin
    They probably stole a bike that was locked up by the front brake, and just needed a brake to complete it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono