Fox 32mm fork protection

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm taking my bike to Senegal in darkest Africa where biking is fun but massivly dusty and sandy. Actually gears pedals and bb are ok in this but I want to protect the forks by getting a pair of those black rubber / elastometric boots that cover the top end of the fork, and keep the stuff away from teh seal. Anyone know where you can get them?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware that they also do a great job of holding crap against the moving parts and work very well as sand paper.

the seal has a wiper to get rid of the crud any way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagrange
    Interesting to try one leg with a boot and one without to test which is better protected - but anyone know where I can get one.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    You could always try a mucky nutz fender bender, they do a good job at stopping stones etc hitting stanchions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lizard Skins do fork boots, but I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lagrange
    Thanks for the tip offs (tips off?) on the products - checked the Lizard skins review - unequivocally NOT RECOMMENDED!! Might be better to buy a rigid fork.

In W Africa there are bike mechanics that are really good at very basic stuff which is why I'm not bothered about the drive train - no chance of them being able to fix forks though. All laterite roads and sand and dust so things get ground down.
    Good try though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I spent plenty of time riding in dry dusty conditions, and quite a few friends ride and race in S Africa - never had any problems - I'd rather dry and dusty than wet and grindy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools