Long travel hardtail

Toots
Toots Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Evening. Got £1500 to build myself a long travel hardtail, enough? Looked at the orange crush from sunset with fox forks bu the spec isnt the best.

Comments

• I'd bet you could make an On One carbon 456 for that money.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How long is long travel?
  • Toots
    Toots Posts: 3
    140-160mm. Dont really want a carbon bike. Looked at the on ones but they dont have much available at the minute.
  • I built my ragley for a grand. I skimped on the spec in some areas mind you, but I was in a rush and wanted to finish the bike so bought bits to get it going. If you wait around long enough you can pick up some cracking deals, search eBay, classifieds etc and you'll do alright with 1.5k
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    I just bought a cove stiffee frame brand new for £300 from CRC. Picked up a 2010 Fox 32 talas on here 140mm for a little under £300. Much of the rest of the stuff is coming off my rigid. Got loads off high end stuff going up for sale as well soon. Vaults pedal, ritchey carbon bars, hope seat post, stem and X2 brakes. Keep a look out in the for sale section over the next couple of days.
  • Tom4
    Tom4 Posts: 69
    I'm doing the same at the moment on the same budget.

I've gone slightly over budget, probably looking at around £1700 once the build is done.

I'm building up a Cotic BFe on Revs. I've managed to find some bargains but the thing I find that pushes the budget up is that its hards not to up-spec on components when you are buying them. For example you might budget £50 for a stem and then see one for £60 and think why not its only another tenner but it soon adds up.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £1500 is easy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you don't want carbon then probably the best choices would be Cotic BFe or Stanton Slackline.
    You should be able to build one up using Shimano Zee or SLX components, Superstar wheels and a set of Rockshox Revelation forks for £1500
  • £1500 should be easily doable if you're cute with your spec and where you buy from. If you don't want carbon then any of the above would pretty good - Ragley blue pig and Cotic Soul are the other options.

Or - what about the new On One 456 Evo Ti? You might have to go for nearly new parts to come in on budget but it will be the real deal.

Bit biased but have to ask - why not carbon?

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Stanton Slackline is a great shout. Cotic is another good one. On One Carbon 456, Transition TransAm are both an idea.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I spent about £2k on my ragley I think, maybe a little less, spec is pretty decent, but you don't need to spend that much.

EDIT: just worked out it cost me around £1650, not too bad.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Ragley Marley has just got a good review. The full bike is £1250. But if you are wanting to build your own, £1500 should get you some nice kit.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Or - what about the new On One 456 Evo Ti? You might have to go for nearly new parts to come in on budget but it will be the real deal.

This.

Depends on what spec you want. Personally I'd be more than happy with Sektors and SLX and some not ridiculously expensive wheels.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017