Shimano crankset black paint?

Biltong
Biltong Posts: 13
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I would think some cheap car paint would do the trick.
  • Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Why not remove it all with Nitromores and then polish ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Biltong wrote:
    Hi there

Kind regards

Almost certainly not paint but anodised.
  • Anodising cost around £30 for a batch of parts.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    freezing77 wrote:
    Biltong wrote:
    Hi there

Kind regards

Almost certainly not paint but anodised.

Depends on the component level and year.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Leave it. Badge of honour, like a cauliflower ear, or boxer's nose :wink:
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    if it's just little nicks then I would use a car touch up paint, if you've got big scuffs then it'll be really hard to cover up without making it look worse, just one of the downsides of black cranks. If you want to stop it getting worse then get some polyurethane tape (AKA 'helicopter tape) and put some strips on the cranks where your shoes rub.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jomoj wrote:
    if it's just little nicks then I would use a car touch up paint, if you've got big scuffs then it'll be really hard to cover up without making it look worse, just one of the downsides of black cranks. If you want to stop it getting worse then get some polyurethane tape (AKA 'helicopter tape) and put some strips on the cranks where your shoes rub.

If you mask up a neat shape on the cranks to cover the worn area and spray that with an appropriate car spray (matt, satin or gloss depending on the factory finish) and then cover the same area with the helicopter tape then it probably won't look any different to how it would have looked if you'd done it when the cranks were new.

Black can be done effectively. I resprayed some matt black Truvative MTB cranks even retaining the printing on the arms and you can barely tell which paint is original and which is mine. And that was just a fairly hasty job with not much care in masking. Might post a pic when I get home!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thank you for all the feedback! I will use the forum again its very good for advice.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Just get the whole thing powder coated black - near as impossible to rub off, will come out perfect and relatively cheap as well.
  • xrayted
    xrayted Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    I forgot to apply heli tape to my brand new Ribble Winter bike and have ended up with shoe rub on a chainstay and today the drive side crank arm with less than 150 mile on the clock. All of my other bikes were treated before use.

However on idea is to buy some of this and cut it to size:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premier-Gloss-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-Film-Sticky-Back-Plastic-Sign-Vinyl-Fablon

And a Ribble Winter Audax bike is the car paint Ford Focus Q3 Imperial Blue

Could have saved myself a load of hassle if I'd not failed to prepare.
  • I agree - fail to prepare, prepare to fail my son.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    DesWeller wrote:
    I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.
    This^^^
  • rolf_f
    tonye_n wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    This^^^

There is a difference between the patina of gentle wear over years of use and a scuffed up shed due to slovenly carelessness! My Ribble has done getting on for 14,000 miles and shows little signs of wear. It does have a little patina from use but I don't think it looks worse for not being covered in scuffs and scrapes. :wink:
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Rolf F wrote:
    tonye_n wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    This^^^

There is a difference between the patina of gentle wear over years of use and a scuffed up shed due to slovenly carelessness! My Ribble has done getting on for 14,000 miles and shows little signs of wear. It does have a little patina from use but I don't think it looks worse for not being covered in scuffs and scrapes. :wink:

Eh?....
    I was not suggesting a bike that doesn't have scuffs & scrapes does not pass some sort of snobbish test.
    Merely agreeing that there is nothing wrong with a bike showing signs of proper use. No need to sanitise a bike.
  • rolf_f
    tonye_n wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    tonye_n wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    This^^^

Eh?....
    I was not suggesting a bike that doesn't have scuffs & scrapes does not pass some sort of snobbish test.
    Merely agreeing that there is nothing wrong with a bike showing signs of proper use. No need to sanitise a bike.

Lol - I don't recall suggesting that you were suggesting that a bike has to have scuffs and scrapes to pass some sort of snobbish test :wink: