Who's riding into London tomorrow morning?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Just looked at the weather forecast(s) - there's reasonable amount of snow forecast overnight but temperatures should stay just above zero. It might stop in time to go to work - or not, depending on whose forecast you believe. Cold and wet is not a big problem but don't I fancy it if the going is slippery and I need to buy a travelcard tonight to avoid nightmare queues at the train station if I'm not pedalling in tomorrow morning.

What's everyone else planning for tomrrow am?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CX bike if it sticks, but, IME, it only tends to stick the south side of Richmond Park: there's usually too much traffic for it to stick in Putney etc.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Not me. Mainly because I live in Morecambe and work in Salford. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cjcp
    Agent57 wrote:

Are there polar bears up there? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'll be on the cx, there's a fair bit of snow that has settled, but I'd imagine that the main roads will be fine for riding.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Eurgh must get off the sofa and refit my mud guards!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Agent57 wrote:

I live just outside London and also work in Salford (in the building next to yours......)

I won't be riding into London tomorrow as my boiler has packed up and I can't shower after riding home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • be riding last lot was fine, I do have a very easy commute though Bushy Park, so unless it properly snow ie in feet be fine.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I should be riding, but not into town. I just skirt round part of the rim. Motivation can suffer because it doesn't take any longer in the car.
    Stevo, you're a mountain biker. Snow shouldn't worry you, just MTFU. I may need to heed my own advice though.
  • cjcp
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I should be riding, but not into town. I just skirt round part of the rim. Motivation can suffer because it doesn't take any longer in the car.
    Stevo, you're a mountain biker. Snow shouldn't worry you, just MTFU. I may need to heed my own advice though.

Apologies if I just scared the sh!t out of you. That "BANG!" was the sidewall on my rear tyre exploding.

So, back on the CX tomorrow as I need new tyres.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese, I don't mind a spot of winter training but a 24 mile round trip on a 14kg, 160mm full susser with 2.5" wide downhill-specific knobbly tyres is making life just a bit too hard for myself...

I'm hedging my bets right now and getting up early ready to ride but will have extra time to buy a ticket if it's worse than expected.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jeez - all this fuss about some snow... :shock: :roll: :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    Apologies if I just scared the sh!t out of you. That "BANG!" was the sidewall on my rear tyre exploding.

So, back on the CX tomorrow as I need new tyres.
    Ah, i just assumed it was a firework somewhere. That reminds me, I really must re-seat the back tyre on my Marin, it's making the whole bike wobble. I knew there was something I meant to do over the weekend.
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese, I don't mind a spot of winter training but a 24 mile round trip on a 14kg, 160mm full susser with 2.5" wide downhill-specific knobbly tyres is making life just a bit too hard for myself...

I'm hedging my bets right now and getting up early ready to ride but will have extra time to buy a ticket if it's worse than expected.
    Yes, but think how fit (read that as knackered) you'll be. I do sympathise, it's hard enough with no sus and 1.75" tyres. Really must sort out a new bike.
  • veronese68
    No problems over this side, just a tad moist. There was a sprinkling of snow on cars and on the grass in the park, everything else was just wet. Traffic was awful so I rode passed feeling rather smug as water dripped off my nose.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That was quite grim.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    If I didn't have a client meeting I probably would have - seemed ok out Twickenham way just after 7 this morning. Not so nice when I got into the city.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    apart from my legs refusing to work was ok :|

please tell me other west siders struggled to spin up in the cold wind and get into central
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The cold air hurt my lungs but I'm sure that was better for me that messing around on the tube, plus I needed it after the hangover I endured on Sunday.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    iPete wrote:
    apart from my legs refusing to work was ok :|

please tell me other west siders struggled to spin up in the cold wind and get into central

Yep felt the same, just couldn't get up any decent speed. Couple that with almost getting wiped out by a G-Wiz (oh can you imagine the shame!) and it was a bit of a slog.

Pete I totally forgot the freewheel tool last week :roll: , are you ok to meet up tomorrow or i can drop it in the post? PM me.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Well,

i cycled. I got 10 miles, without issue. until my left crank arm sheared off!!!!!

Much cursing and waiting around til 9 am until the nearest bike shop opened! result is its taken me 4+ hours to get to work, 2 days on the tube and £130 lighter of the pocket!

FML. :evil: :evil:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    BBC Weather seemed to suggest 'mostly dry' - my sopping wet cycling kit says otherwise. No real problem, just a bit of a crap way to start the week.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    For the sake of London commuter pride I recommend this thread be deleted and the subject never discussed again.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    itboffin wrote:
    For the sake of London commuter pride I recommend this thread be deleted and the subject never discussed again.
    But it lets the country bumpkins feel all superior when we wimp out over a bit of wet snow :wink:

In the end I strained a leg muscle bounding down the stairs last night so had to wimp out and take the train :P
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Remember i'm a Londoner "in the country" we're the utter scum of the earth with our spotlessly clean hunter wellies, 4x4 and horse riding ballerina princess children (that's the boys mind).

Was interesting to see 1mm of snow covering a few spots of outer London referred to as 'snowing'

cough cough

M
    T
    F
    U
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.