25mm tyre on back and 23mm on front?

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
To make my Cube road bike better protected from punctures, especially at this time of year, I was thinking of putting a 25mm Continental Gatorskin tyre on the back (as more of my weight on the back) but leaving a 23mm Schwalbe Ultremo tyre on the front. I like Gatorskins as they offer better puncture protection, although as the Ultremos currently on the bike are still good tyres I was thinking I'll just leave the front one as it is for now.

Just wondering if others have found any benefit from having a heavier, better protected back tyre, or whether it is best to stick to same tyre sizes on back and front?

Comments

• I find it makes no difference _ I've got back wheels with both 23 and 25 mm tyres and I can't tell the difference. I would never use Gatorskins though, Schwalbe Durano Plus every time for training during the winter and Vittoria Pave in the summer.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME Gatorskins are excellent.

They are what I am riding and they have yet to let me down in two winters (which of course they now will).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    there's no problem mixing tyre sizes - Continental do it on their Attack/Force combo.
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20gp%20attack%20force.shtml

...kinda makes sense, as the rear bears more weight.
    Cycling weakly
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    blackhands wrote:
    I find it makes no difference _ I've got back wheels with both 23 and 25 mm tyres and I can't tell the difference. I would never use Gatorskins though, Schwalbe Durano Plus every time for training during the winter and Vittoria Pave in the summer.

+1
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • I use 23 front and 25 rear on my best bike all the time, and have done for many years. I like the fact I can run the 25 at a lower PSI as it does increase comfort. (I'd use a 25 on the front too, but there's insufficient clearance).
    I use 25mm on the front and 28mm on the back, both Gatorskins. I find it makes for a comfortable secure ride in poor weather. The smaller front tyre keeps steering lively enough and the larger rear gives a nice cushioned ride.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I use 23 front and 25 rear on my best bike all the time, and have done for many years. I like the fact I can run the 25 at a lower PSI as it does increase comfort. (I'd use a 25 on the front too, but there's insufficient clearance).
    I have this set up, but the 25mm back does always feel a bit squishy. I will be swapping it over to a 23mm when the time is up
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Given the different weight distribution front/rear it sems to make sense. I have been doing it for a few years now, and for this winter I fitted Durano Plus on the rear and Durano on the front. The Durano Plus is a lot heavier and a harder ride but worth it if you especially hate rear tyre punctures in the cold/wet. Not one puncture since I fitted them (so far )!!!
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    My original road bike (Giant SCR2) came with a 28mm Armadillo on the back and and 23mm Gatorskin on the front; my housemates kept referring to it as "the dragster" so I bought another 23mm Gator and put that on the back.

East London roads ate the rear Gatorskin in short order (it was ribbons after a couple of months commuting) so it was back to the big ol' 28mm. The front was fine so it was a surprise just how much worse rear tire wear was...
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    My concern is you may get bottlenecked by the cheaper tire.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Try it. Those asymmetric combinations you can buy as pairs have lighter, stickier fronts and more heavy duty rears.
  • I've recently started running continental 4 seasons 23 front 25 rear, haven't noticed a great deal of difference apart from 25 rubs on crud road racers a bit more.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Thanks for the replies. I've now put a 25mm gatorskin on the back, so I'll see how it goes.