canyon nerve al or yeti as-r 5

Imperton
Imperton Posts: 9
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am gonna be buying a new bike and was set on buying a canyon nerve al 8. But then a mate was selling his yeti as-r 5 and I could get it for almost the same price as the canyon. Build kit is about the same. Which one would be the best bike of these two? I think the canyon looks like it has a more advanced suspension than the yeti which only has a single pivot but all the reviews have been thoroughly impressed by the yeti.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ask for a test ride of the Yeti. No good if it doesn't fit or you don't like it!
  • I have tried it and liked it.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    I wouldn't buy from a mate, unless they were a bike shop mechanic who kept their bikes in pristine condition. And even then, maybe not. Problem is, that if you find out a week after buying the Yeti that the chain is stretched, cassette wore out, head set bearings are gone and fork bushings blown what are you going to do? Is he the sort of mate who'll take the bike back or offer you a couple of hundred to fix the problems?
    If your mate bought the bike and never really rode it, then maybe you're getting a deal. Otherwise you've may have consider replacing moving parts which will add to the purchase price.
  • Is the suspension/frame of the canyon actually better than the yeti since it has the horst link?
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Horst versus single pivot, one is not better than the other, sort of depends on rider style, terrain, shock, etc.

Horst, generally more active than single pivot, so great for sitting and pedaling through the rough stuff. But being more active can sap some pedaling efficiency. Also those additional links can lead to more lateral flex.

Single pivot, simpler, possible stiffer laterally, seems to pedal better if a rider likes to stand and sprint.

My Cannondale was a single pivot and would climb like a mountain goat, I switched to a Turner with a horst and while it was much better heading downhill, climbs were more work.

Generally though the Yeti will out class the Canyon.