dropper question?

bigcoose
bigcoose Posts: 41
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
having ridden mountain bikes for 20+ years and only now and again seen the need to lower my seatpost.is a dropper post really worth the cost?they do seem quite unreliable in a fair view reviews.
please shed some opinions for me guys

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Depends on where you ride really. A lot of people who say, "I never raise/lower my saddle," may still benefit, in fact, they may gain more of a benefit. They are more useful for undulating, technical terrain rather than long up, long down stuff. You'd be surprised how much more 'flow'/speed/fun they can give.

In terms of reliability, I don't think they're too bad nowadays, as long as you ignore Crank Brothers stuff.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had one on my Commencal and when it worked it was awesome a lot of times you dont bother getting off and dropping the saddle because its too much bother for a short drop. Its those short stretches where it really works.

I was badly put off by the unreliability though and swore I wouldnt get another till they were as reliable as a good set of forks. From what other riders tell me they still arent quite there yet though I know a guy with a KS Lev and he has used it through winter with no issues yet so I may be tempted very soon.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap